Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Edward, Teddy, Ted, Eddie... thoughts please...

(45 Posts)
MrsTeapot207 Fri 12-Nov-10 20:23:26

I have always loved the name Edward but have never been too keen on any of the abreviations... Many threads seem to love Ted or Teddy as a nickname when younger - thoughts please and does this name stick when growing older?

stinkypants Fri 12-Nov-10 20:45:22

edward is lovely as it is.

onceamai Fri 12-Nov-10 21:48:36

Ned, Ed. Fab name. Best there is.

onceamai Fri 12-Nov-10 21:49:10

PS: Was a very useful little engine.

bluebump Fri 12-Nov-10 21:50:49

I like Ted, Ned, Teddy etc

cece Fri 12-Nov-10 21:51:52

I prefer nn of either Ed or Eddie, which works well for men too.

Jojay Fri 12-Nov-10 21:52:01

Ted and Teddy are grim. I can't stand either. Too cutesy for me.

Ds2 is known as Ed mostly, or occasionally Eddie.

I don't get the whole thing about having one nickname for when they are young, then changing to another as they grow older. IMHE, names stick.

Woody is another nickname option for Edward.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 12-Nov-10 21:55:16

Great name. I like Teddy and hope to use it but for Theodore rather than Edward.

Most adult Edwards I know are Eddies and Eds though.

NB: I am expecting Edward to rise as Twilight fans have babies. Don't know if this would put you off.

IlooklikeGrotbagstoday Fri 12-Nov-10 21:56:41

I named DS2 Edward 5 weeks ago and his nn is Ned.

messybedhead Fri 12-Nov-10 21:58:24

I have a Teddy, and keep meeting lots of other baby Teds.

It is not new anymore; I predict there'll be little Teds everywhere in a couple of years!

grin

MrsTeapot207 Sun 14-Nov-10 09:36:51

Thank you all - it has given us much to think about. Also worried that Edward is becoming increasingly popular?

Panzee Sun 14-Nov-10 09:40:01

I really don't see the problem with 'popular' names. They're popular for a reason, usually because they're nice!

DontCallMeBaby Sun 14-Nov-10 09:45:33

I have just checked with DD, and as I suspected, the Edward in her class is always known as Edward. I suspect in this case a nickname will creep in as he gets older, as opposed to when a nickname is 'chosen' by the parents early on.

He's the only small Edward I know, though there is an Edgar in the year as well.

earlgreyismynectar Sun 14-Nov-10 09:54:08

Agree with the rise in popularity with Twilight however it's on my shortlist too, I love Edward And Ned as a n.n (despite living in Scotland where it has other associations!). Love Woody too as a n.n, didn't know that came from Edward!

emmyloo2 Sun 14-Nov-10 17:40:53

I LOVE LOVE Edward. We have narrowed down our names choices for baby boy who is now two days late down to Edward and George.

DH prefers George so think we will go with this in the end, but love Edward. I don't think it is that popular at all. Certainly not where I am (Scotland).

Love the nns Ted and Teddy but likely to get Ed or Eddie when older I think....

JFly Sun 14-Nov-10 17:57:58

My DH is edward and his family have always called him Ted. I think you could also get away with Ned.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 14-Nov-10 17:58:33

I love it. Have a good friend called Eddie but like Ted too.

JFly Sun 14-Nov-10 18:05:53

Jojay, I think a few people have "family" nn and more work or "adult" nn. See my DH. Ted to family, Ed at work/friends. I call him something else entirely. Names are quite fluid actually.

earlgreyismynectar Sun 14-Nov-10 18:27:58

Mrs Teapot?! Were you on the Feb antenatal thread? We had a Mrs Teapot who disappeared!

mumtoted Sun 14-Nov-10 18:39:20

My Teddy is 3, so far we have only met one other.

Hulababy Sun 14-Nov-10 19:49:36

I really like the name Edwardand like the nn Ned

euracantha Sun 14-Nov-10 20:19:23

Edward is popular around here older ones are known as Edward by their parents and Ed by their friends.I also know 2 younger Eddies and a Ted.
It was my father s name and my nephew has it as a middle name,a very good name.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 14-Nov-10 20:25:02

Edward is lovely. One of mine has it as a middle name.

Rockbird Sun 14-Nov-10 20:26:43

DD would have been Edward. The only other one I know is about 15. Gorgeous name.

twolittlemonkeys Sun 14-Nov-10 20:31:05

I love Edward. Used it as DS2's middle name, sometimes wish I'd used it as his first name though. I like Ned or Ted as a nn, but Ed is ok too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: