Talk

Advanced search

only as a middle name....but still,,,,

(17 Posts)
deepbluewave Tue 09-Nov-10 11:40:27

Hi, my dad has been doing our family tree and has found my, G.G.G.G G Grandfathers grave-

Caught up in the excitement, I declared I would use the name if our first born, was a boy.

My DH, also loved it and wants to use it, but now I am having second thoughts.

What do you think....?

Eben 'Ramoth' Stewart....my dad said this would make him really happy and both me and DH have Scottish roots-but I think I prefere to use my brothers name in le middle- Nicholas.

Thoughts?

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 09-Nov-10 11:42:05

Your choice. Sounds like mammoth to me. I don't reallly see the point of middle names TBH. That is a bit hypocritical of me considering DD has three blush

B52s Tue 09-Nov-10 12:17:12

like it. why not? nice gesture. middle names don't get used much anyway, so something unusual is fine.

deepbluewave Tue 09-Nov-10 12:28:42

yeah,, and I suppose it has a nice tale behind it.

Rockbird Tue 09-Nov-10 12:33:07

I like it. Ross Poldark had a horse called Ramoth. I'd go for it.

Bster Tue 09-Nov-10 12:40:40

I think it sounds fine, and is actually really cool to have traced your tree so far back and used a name from it – I’d love to do something similar when we have a baby. You don’t often use middle names, so I always think it’s really nice to make it something meaningful!

Bue Tue 09-Nov-10 12:44:44

I like ancestral names in the middle name spot. I don't know why more people don't do it. Could you go with Eben Ramoth Nicholas?

deepbluewave Tue 09-Nov-10 12:47:55

Oh no-- Stewart is our surname--- Im not having 3! But does sound good!

ThatllDoPig Tue 09-Nov-10 15:36:38

I like Eben more than Ramoth. But I think you should definately use one of them, I like old traditional names.

deepbluewave Tue 09-Nov-10 15:46:25

yeh, Eben, is a definite for the first name.

ThatllDoPig Tue 09-Nov-10 16:13:44

oh, sorry, being a bit thick. Yes, use both!
Is Eben short for Ebenezer do you know? Or would you pronounce it with the long EE sound, like Ethan, but nicer.

SE13Mummy Tue 09-Nov-10 20:38:15

I personally wouldn't use it as the only middle name but perhaps as a second one... one of my brothers was 'blessed' with a bizarre family name discovered by my father who'd recently got into the whole family history thing. DB won't tell anyone what it is as it's always been a source of embarrassment for him, luckily it's a second middle name so he's dropped it - he didn't even say it when he got married (at an otherwise very traditional ceremony).

ShowOfHands Tue 09-Nov-10 20:41:10

I've been really excited to find an Everard, a Willoughby and a Theopholis in my family tree. DH is not impressed and says we are having no more children.

anonymousbird Tue 09-Nov-10 20:42:01

It's rather splendid.
Use it.
Nicholas is a fine name, but not as interesting or dramatic. Lovely story - use Nicholas next time wink.

deepbluewave Wed 10-Nov-10 10:15:28

Ah, thanks ladies. That really helps, just needed a few opinions on it. yeh, I should be proud!

Defo use my brothers name, next time round.

BuntyPenfold Wed 10-Nov-10 10:20:56

I quite like Ramoth, and love Eben.

We never named anyone after my G G Aunt Clytemnestra; don't know why not wink

Rhubarbgarden Thu 11-Nov-10 13:52:53

Ramoth is fantastic! You must use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now