Talk

Advanced search

Simone

(14 Posts)
chaya5738 Mon 08-Nov-10 14:34:14

For a girl.

What do you think?

I am one of those crazy people who is nowhere near conceiving DC2 but already obsessing over baby names.

I like names that aren't "girly" or "prissy" (which rules out most names that end in "a" or "ie") and I like to steer clear of Top 100 names. Anyway, this name just popped into my head the other day and I really like it. There were a couple in my year at school but it now seems to have dropped in popularity. I am wondering why...

maninthemooncup Mon 08-Nov-10 14:52:02

I can't imagine a baby called Simone. It's got a bit of a whiny quality too, sorry.
What about Joanna, Ruth or Jane? None of them very girly or prissy I wouldn't think, and don't think they're all that common these days either.

HelenaRose Mon 08-Nov-10 14:54:03

Unlike most other "boys name + vowel" names, I really, really like this one. I think it's classy.

chaya5738 Mon 08-Nov-10 14:56:38

Yeah, I imagine as a baby we'd probably call her "Sim"

I'd pronounce it "Sih-MON" not "Si-MOAN" so perhaps avoiding the whiny quality?

I don't like the names you suggest maninthemoon - one of them is mine and the others a bit too boring for me...(there were loads in my class at school)

Am perhaps overly influenced by Simone de Beauvoir in liking this name...

maninthemooncup Mon 08-Nov-10 15:11:09

Ah, it makes sense now! Do you live somewhere where people will say "as in de Beauvoir?", if so it is rather nice and chic.
Round these parts you would just get "do you mean Simon?", hence I didn't think of that

I like "boring" names because I have an "exotic" (Irish) one that is tricky to spell/pronounce if you aren't familiar with Irish names, and I really wanted Ruth for DD but OH doesn't like it.

chaya5738 Mon 08-Nov-10 15:21:17

Heh heh, I could live somewhere where Simone de Beauvoir is known but I just remember her from my undergrad and thinking she was very cool - a woman holding her own in a field of men. But I suppose it could sound quite pretentious

Sorry, hope I wasn't offensive by saying I thought they were boring. Am currently at work and trying to type another document at the same time (hence blunt tone)

I guess your experience with your own name would greatly influence what you like. I WISH I had a more interesting name.

maninthemooncup Mon 08-Nov-10 15:32:13

The grass is always greener isn't it!
Simone isn't so unusual that it'd be a problem though, and it would be v cool to be named after S de B. I must also declare an interest, there was a Simone at school and she was totally meh with a nice line in runny noses and may have put me off a bit.

I'm obsessing about names for a second baby too and haven't even got as far as discussing whether or not we'll try for one (hope so though). Important to be prepared though

MyMamaToldMe Mon 08-Nov-10 15:41:02

I love the name! I'm another one who is nowhere near concienving DC 2, but love thinking of possible names. Simone is one I have also thought about. I too went to school with a Simone and she was lovely - which I suppose makes me like the name even more.

MyMamaToldMe Mon 08-Nov-10 15:41:56

*conceiving! Must check my post before hitting the post message button!

Rhubarbgarden Mon 08-Nov-10 18:45:16

Love it. If I have a DD2 she will be Simone.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 09-Nov-10 08:18:08

Great name. Briefly considered for our DD, can't remember why we didn't use it.

chaya5738 Tue 09-Nov-10 10:40:51

Ooooh, I like the feedback here.

Glad to hear I am not the only one mymama and maninthemoon - my rational brain KNOWS it is a completely ridiculous time to have another baby but my emotional side is telling me otherwise. So I spend time pondering baby names to satisfy both!

oftenpurple Tue 09-Nov-10 10:50:06

It's my name and I think it's beautiful. Unusual enough to know that there won't be another in the class (perhaps not even in the same nursery/school) but not so unusual that people wonder how to pronounce it. A member of our extended family recently gave it to their daughter as a middle name and it made me cry!

chaya5738 Tue 09-Nov-10 11:05:41

Oh yay! That is great to hear oftenpurple. It is nice to hear someone who has had a positive experience with their name.

Might just have to TTC now just to use the name. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now