Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Bertha?

(16 Posts)
TodaklopPolkadot Sun 07-Nov-10 01:39:10

Can I ask if anybody at all likes this? I think it might be due a revival, and is surely not so associated with size nowadays?

What do you think? I'm not very confident to use it or I wouldn't be asking.

Skyrg Sun 07-Nov-10 01:45:30

I don't like it much, sorry! The name itself is fine, but I associate it with very elderly ladies and cannot imagine it on a child. Also I hear 'birth' every single time.

I like this site for opinions:
babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/suitability_of_B ertha.html
Gives you an idea of how it could be used in teasing etc.
This is the first name I've ever seen where the majority have said no to the 'would you advise parents to name their baby this?' question.

onimolap Sun 07-Nov-10 01:58:13

It would make me think "Big Bertha" because of the howitzer, and I don't think that's a terribly good association or nn.

onimolap Sun 07-Nov-10 01:59:38

Oh, and it's the mad wife in Jane Eyre as well.

mumbybumby Sun 07-Nov-10 04:05:12

Reminds me of a children's tv programme about a big green machine called 'Bertha'.
And I do think that the 'big Bertha' thing still exists. Sorry.

ILoveGregoryHouse Sun 07-Nov-10 04:39:47

OMG. Please don't. There will be no revival, it's a fugly name.

cumbria81 Sun 07-Nov-10 07:33:28

It reminds me of a tv show that I was on when I was a child about a factory machine ("Bertha, lovely Bertha, sometimes I think you're a dream....")

PheasantPlucker Sun 07-Nov-10 07:35:54

Yep, wife in attic. Sorry

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 07-Nov-10 08:06:10

Big Bertha. Makes me think of Les Dawson, no idea why!

LetThereBeRock Sun 07-Nov-10 10:37:38

It's hideous. And unless everyone goes temporarily insane there'll be no revival.

Faaamily Sun 07-Nov-10 10:40:42

Dreadful

TheNextMrsDepp Sun 07-Nov-10 10:44:01

Big Bertha. I imagine a large Germanic lady with coiled plaits on her head. Singing opera.

MrsvWoolf Sun 07-Nov-10 13:24:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Sun 07-Nov-10 16:55:12

It reminds me of Bertha Mason of Jane Eyre too. Not sure that it 'sounds' right yet. But then there was a time when 'Martha' sounded strange to my ears.

Montifer Sun 07-Nov-10 18:04:09

I'm infinitely grateful to my parents for amending my middle name to Beth, whilst still paying tribute to Great Aunt Bertha.
Love Beth, am afraid I agree Bertha is fugly.

SherbetDibDab Sun 07-Nov-10 18:08:49

Just makes me think of wide berths

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: