Talk

Advanced search

letting big sis choose!

(28 Posts)
bundlebelly Fri 05-Nov-10 15:16:31

I've hormonally told my 11 year old dd that she can choose the middle name of her baby brother. BUT I did say 'within reason'. Anyone else done this? good/bad result? She is really pleased and reading all the name books. Hope she doesn't set her heart on something vile!

fayc84 Fri 05-Nov-10 15:39:05

I know of a family in fife who called their son Sonny Wolverene after the two big brothers were allowed a say in the middle name. Sounds a bit odd to me, but the family love it. Why not?

ShowOfHandsInEpistolaryForm Fri 05-Nov-10 15:41:15

My 3yr old has middle names picked out for the eventuality of siblings. Luckily, her taste is perfectly acceptable.

I think it's really lovely.

Wheelybug Fri 05-Nov-10 15:43:22

We let dd1 choose dd2' name. But out of a shortlist ! This was first name though.

I think its a great thing to do - perhaps you should make sure she understands you have the right of veto !! Could you ask her for a selection ?

flopsy1974 Fri 05-Nov-10 15:43:45

Why not give her a list of suitable names to choose from.

coatgate Fri 05-Nov-10 15:46:09

Fab idea - do let us know what she chooses so we can all snigger smile

HabbiBOOM Fri 05-Nov-10 15:51:58

ds would have been Hakin or YourCoffee is dd had had her way.

HabbiBOOM Fri 05-Nov-10 15:52:04

if

Tidey Fri 05-Nov-10 15:52:18

Does anyone remember the Anastasia Krupnik books, she almost names her baby brother One-Ball Reilly but luckily opts for Sam in the end smile

pagwatch Fri 05-Nov-10 15:56:24

Ds1 chose both DDs names. Her full name is lovely. He was 10 at the time.

It was much better than his request to name DS2. He wanted to call him Dumper. We sadly had to veto

asdx2 Fri 05-Nov-10 16:00:19

Dd1 chose dd2's name with no restrictions. She was 10 and a bit peeved about losing her status as only girl so it was a bit of a pacifier tbh. She chose Lucy so very happy with that especially when she pondered Daisyhmm earlier on.

LunarSea Fri 05-Nov-10 16:03:44

ds1 suggested ds2's name (we did have the final say though). His list was along the lines of Thomas, Percy, Edward, Henry, Gordon, James, Toby.... Spot the trend? ds2 got two of those!

FIMBOfedupofrandomfireworks Fri 05-Nov-10 16:15:19

Ds (6) would like a baby brother called Optimus Prime. Thankfully dh has been snipped.

LouMacca Fri 05-Nov-10 16:24:06

Phew thought you were going to say DD could choose the first name!

My brother was allowed to choose my first name to make up for the fact that I was a baby sister and not a baby brother. I hate my first name with a passion and changed it at secondary school.

I think a short list is the best way to go.

lol @ Sonny Wolverene!! Love it grin

fel1x Fri 05-Nov-10 16:27:07

Oh thats a lovely idea.
So much cooler for an 11 yr old to be able to choose it totally herself as well rather than from a list supplied by you.
I bet she'll surprise you by choosing something lovely (and if not its only a middle name and it'll be a great story to tell the baby when he/she is older!!)

bundlebelly Fri 05-Nov-10 16:43:33

laughs (nervously) at Sonny Wolverine, Dumper etc etc.
smile
I'll let you all know what the poor little mite ends up with.
She says her faves at the mo are Gregory (She just likes the sound of it), Christopher (She likes this boy at school - not in that way) and Dixil (?). hmm - reaches for veto button!

overmydeadbody Fri 05-Nov-10 16:47:52

When DS was 3 he chose his own middle name and I then added it to his name by Deed Poll. I would hope he was involved in the naming of any future siblings.

jetgirl Fri 05-Nov-10 16:52:22

I named my sister, she likes her name fortunately! My brother, who was 2 at the time wanted to call her Thomas!

Rocketbird Fri 05-Nov-10 16:53:45

11 is reasonably sensible. A friend's 3 yo contributed Dinosaur and Cake I think they bought his silence in the end!

dexifehatz Fri 05-Nov-10 21:34:13

I let my dd choose our dd2's first name out of two final choices me and dh chose. She chose Felicity

MmeLindt Fri 05-Nov-10 21:36:19

Hmm. My DD wanted to name our dog and we compromised on middle name.

Dog is now Daphne Sparkle.

hormonalmum Fri 05-Nov-10 22:13:07

My dd1 (then aged 4) chose dd2's middle name. It is not my first choice but dd1 loves it and I hope dd2 grows to love it too.

mamacorner Fri 05-Nov-10 22:32:29

Not too sure...my 7year old nephew was desperate for us to name our new addition Darth Vader!! And we thought about giving our two DC's aged 10 & 11 a chance to choose a name, but their current obsession with the Percy Jackson books means we spend lots of time discussing Greek God names for their little sister!

LelloLorry Fri 05-Nov-10 22:45:55

Well, even if they choose awful middle names that you hate, they don't have to know that you haven't used it.
Just saying!
It's not like you're going to walk around the house shouting "JAMES BARBIE, get down here!" She'll never know!
(and probably forget)

Beamur Fri 05-Nov-10 22:48:38

My DSD actually suggested DD's first name and we agreed with her choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now