Talk

Advanced search

Someone please sell me on...

(20 Posts)
CheerfulYank Fri 27-Aug-10 22:34:19

Alexander.

DH and I are going to TTC in the next few months, and he loves it. I'm okay with it but not in love with it, so to speak. But DH so rarely offers his opinion on things that I really want to give him this one if he likes it so much. He liked it for our last DS but I got my name instead (Sam). I really like Jack or Finn for the next one but he doesn't really want either.

So, what are people's opinions?

southeastastra Fri 27-Aug-10 22:35:16

wait until you actually have a baby

CheerfulYank Fri 27-Aug-10 22:36:25

, that would be good advice, wouldn't it? But it might take nine months to get into the idea of Alexander.

lowrib Fri 27-Aug-10 22:41:47

Well if you want me to put you off Jack and Finn I could say that they are ridiculously popular. Jack topped the baby names lists for years, and there are loads of Finns right now (it is a lovely name though, Finn was on my list!).

Alex is a nice name, I think.

CheerfulYank Fri 27-Aug-10 22:45:58

Jack isn't as popular here and Finn is virtually unheard of (not in the US at large, but in our tiny corner of it anyway.) But yes, they are quite popular in general, so thank you lowrib

BikeRunSki Fri 27-Aug-10 22:50:35

Even if you do get him into Alexander now, he could change his mind in 9 months. I'd wait until I was really quite pg and expecting a boy.

onimolap Fri 27-Aug-10 22:54:45

I think it's a lovely name. There's a lot of ways of shortening it, if you want fewer syllables for day to day use, and it's popular without being everywhere (typically in the top 30 in UK rather than top 10), and it's a pan-European name which 'travels' well iyswim.

At least you've got plenty of time to make your mind up, or find another name that you both love.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 27-Aug-10 22:56:54

Lots of nice diminutives for Alexander - Alex, Xander, Sandy. Sounds as good on an adult as on a little boy.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Fri 27-Aug-10 23:47:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wisteria12 Sat 28-Aug-10 01:01:35

Xander or Xavier are so much nicer and much less common. I know literally about 20 Alex's in my area (South West).

ValiumSingleton Sat 28-Aug-10 11:08:33

Alex is less popular than Jack and finn, that's true. It's one of those names that isn't going to make anybody gasp, but it's a fine name.

I love Sandy as well! Very cool. Possibly I am influenced by Sandy Cohen from the OC!

CheerfulYank Sat 28-Aug-10 21:08:41

I do like Xander as a nn but since we already have a Sam I feel like Xan and Sam sound odd together.

Yes, I know it's certainly very premature but DH has like this name for years, so it's not going anywhere.

Thanks for the input!

AllieW Mon 13-Dec-10 17:10:00

I quite like it, but tend to prefer Alec myself. Having said that, you could always have Alec as a nn.

5GoldenFimbos Mon 13-Dec-10 17:12:33

Alexander Jack Finn sounds nice.

UnpureAsTheDrivenSHOW Mon 13-Dec-10 17:14:28

I don't love it. But it abbreviates to Sacha which is brilliant!

PressureDrop Mon 13-Dec-10 17:16:03

Alexander is much nicer than Jack or Finn.

Alex is a great nn.

Fourleaf Mon 13-Dec-10 17:16:09

I like it, for all the reasons above. My fave shortening is Al, which I think would go very nicely with Sam, but it may not be your cup of tea.

FWIW, DS has a name that I originally wasn't in love with (was DH's idea), but I grew to love it when preg and now it totally suits him and I wouldn't prefer any other name.

Hedwig3 Mon 13-Dec-10 17:55:54

I like Alex much more than Alexander, would that work for you?

suzikettles Mon 13-Dec-10 18:00:28

You could always call him Alistair.

Until he died (at the ripe old age of 88) and I saw the order of service at his funeral - I didn't realise that my Great Uncle Alistair was actually called Alexander. (Alistair is an anglicised spelling of the Gaelic version of Alexander)

Alex, Alec, Sandy, Ally, Xander - all nice.

yellowflowers Tue 14-Dec-10 10:50:06

Alexander is great - shortened versions all nice (with exception of Alec imo) and Alexander the Great a good person to be named after. Is popular but not common and spelled as it is said more or less. We've not chosen it only because my first love was called this and we've ruled out ex boyfriends and girlfriends as names for our children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now