Talk

Advanced search

Artie/Art?

(12 Posts)
hoolies Sun 15-Aug-10 16:47:37

Arthur is a family name, really like the nn Artie and could use Art when he gets older in case Artie is too cutesy. And he'd have Arthur for a "proper" name. Is is too like the suddenly very popular Archie/Alfie?

ValiumSingleton Sun 15-Aug-10 18:17:27

I don't like Arthur or Artie, it's one of those urban chic names isn't it?

I prefer Archie.

hoolies Sun 15-Aug-10 19:34:36

What's urban chic?

Personally don't think Archie is a good 'adult' name, cute for kids though

DastardlyandSmugly Sun 15-Aug-10 19:42:56

Archie too popular for me. Like Art and Artie.

Vine Sun 15-Aug-10 21:29:36

I knew an Art, proper name Stuart. I think Arthur is getting quite popular but I don't know if anyone is using Artie....

ValiumSingleton Mon 16-Aug-10 08:33:21

Urban chic!? oh you know, come here Dulcie, Artie and Hector, time to go and pick up Agnes!

Names that are rare nationally and wouldn't even feature in the statistics, but in certain pockets they are actually not at all UNcommon. Arthur is one of those names. Doesn't mean I don't like them, I really like Dulcie for example, but depending on where you live, Jack mgiht be really rare while you know a handful of Arthurs.

hth

Atlasive Tue 17-Aug-10 20:12:33

Agree with ValiumSingleton

ReadingTeaLeaves Tue 17-Aug-10 21:09:57

Love Artie. But NB Glee....

stinkypants Tue 17-Aug-10 21:15:13

if it is a family name then i think that is added impetus to go with it, and why not call him arthur mostly but let a nickname evolve? i think artie is sweet but maybe not as he gets older.

Lioncubs Sat 13-Apr-13 13:18:54

Did you name your son Artie?

AssamAndDarjeeling Sat 13-Apr-13 22:45:21

I do like it, but wouldn't use it now due to all the Alfie/Archie names. I think it could date horribly.

AssamAndDarjeeling Sat 13-Apr-13 22:46:15

Arthur, otoh, is great. Use that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now