Talk

Advanced search

Kingsley

(20 Posts)
Beegey Thu 12-Aug-10 08:33:50

Does anyone other than Dh and I love it? I dare not mention it to friends in RL as I am pretty sure they will all hate it and try to convince us otherwise...

ValiumSingleton Thu 12-Aug-10 08:36:07

NO!

Your friends would laugh.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 12-Aug-10 08:37:05

Kingsley Amis?
I can't think of any other Kingsleys.
I like it personally, but it might not be an easy baby name...

Beegey Thu 12-Aug-10 09:28:16

Kingsley Amis is probably the most well known and we are big fans. I have met one young man called Kingsley who said he liked his name very much and had never been particularly teased for it.

We thought King or Kingers for nn.

We find out this afternoon hopefully if DC2 is a boy or a girl.

Vallum - I fear your prediction re friends laughing may prove correct. Need to figure out how much I care about friends laughing if we really love it...

BuntyPenfold Thu 12-Aug-10 09:33:13

Makes me think of Klingon tbh

Dysgu Thu 12-Aug-10 10:02:10

I know a Kingsley - he is 13/14 now and has never had a problem with his name.

SirBoobAlot Thu 12-Aug-10 10:06:39

Makes me think of Harry Potter.

BunnyLebowski Thu 12-Aug-10 10:07:00

Kingers sounds like a balding sports radio correspondent desperate to maintain his laddish persona.

Don't like Kingsley in any form tbh. Just sounds daft to me.

Cortina Thu 12-Aug-10 10:13:30

I knew one, he carried it well, was hugely popular and known as 'King' to his mates. I think it's fine, not my favourite but far nicer than many out there IMO and perfectly ok.

CouldOfWouldOfShouldOf Thu 12-Aug-10 10:16:07

Um, no, just no.

Beegey Thu 12-Aug-10 10:45:33

Hmm, interesting, thanks for your replies.

usualsuspect Thu 12-Aug-10 10:50:16

I like it, I know a bloke called Kingsley it suits him

goddessofplenty Sun 18-Sep-11 09:57:10

Ok so I'm a year late in replying but did you take the plunge beejey? At least it isn't John, Steve, Dave, Oscar, Noah, alfie, Arthur, etc. Some people just have a bit of trouble with the completely new. We called our ds Kingsley and yes, it does take a bit of gumption I think but wouldn't you rather have gumption than something forgettable?

EdithWeston Sun 18-Sep-11 09:58:56

I think it's lovely.

And the Kingsley that children will have heard of is Shacklebolt from HP and he's cool.

SaffronCake Sun 18-Sep-11 11:18:29

I sort of hope you did, Kingsley is quite nice once the unusualness thing passes by. Although I agree about the radio presenter thing, so I hope you don't call him Kingers.

You don't need a nickname from their name anyway, nicknames just sort of arrive. I have one child who will answer to Snotface and another who is better known as Scamp than her real name.

greenzebra Sun 18-Sep-11 15:23:23

I like it, its a bit like Kingston Gwen Stefani's kid. I think its cool.

vanfurgston Sun 18-Sep-11 15:35:26

kingsley shaklebolt
i like him

tiredgranny Sun 18-Sep-11 18:45:23

we have a kingston his older brother could not pronounce so he gets called kinky

seeker Sun 18-Sep-11 18:46:21

Don't be silly!

Happygomummy Sun 18-Sep-11 18:59:15

I know a Kingsley too. I didn't blink twice when was told his name (was part of nct group)

Good name, maybe a little old fashioned but compared to modern monstrosities such as Jayden and Tyler it is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now