Talk

Advanced search

Primrose/Rosie - your votes are needed!

(65 Posts)
luth Sun 18-Jul-10 23:03:03

After months of deliberation my husband and I have finally agreed on the name Rosie for our daughter who is due in 3 weeks. However there is one sticking point.

I have a concern that Rosie is too popular. I've always wanted an unconventional name for my child - my parents were going to call me something off the wall and then chickened out at the last minute and I wish they would have been braver as I would have suited it. A solution would be to call her Primrose (and put this on her birth certificate) but shorten this to Rosie for everyday use. I think this allows her the option to be more unusual if she wants or stick to a conventional nickname.

My husband likes the name Primrose but thinks it sounds silly with our surname; Palmer. He also doesn't want to have to explain to people why we call her Rosie when her name is Primrose and thinks what we want to call her should appear on her birth certificate.

We have decided that we are going to settle it by the number of mumsnet votes each option receives (as we don't want to discuss names with our families/friends) So please help by voting one of the following:
Option 1 - Have Primrose on birth certificate and use Rosie as a nickname
Option 2 - Drop Primrose altogether and just call her Rosie.

Thanks for your help

SirBoobAlot Sun 18-Jul-10 23:07:36

I agree with your husband, don't think it goes with your surname. How about Rosemary if you want a longer first name?

Though I know plenty of people who are Rosie as their full name and its fine.

ja9 Sun 18-Jul-10 23:12:59

i love the name rosie

i think primrose palmer is fine - i'm a big fan of alliteration and have a r r daughter. If i were you, i'd go with option 1.

CakeandRoses Sun 18-Jul-10 23:21:44

Option 2(ish) I'd go for Rose on the bc, as I think it travels across ages, countries etc better and isn't common as a first name. You can then call her all sorts of things: rosie, rosy posy, primrose etc!

Not too keen on Primrose as I think the 'prim' bit spoils the lovely 'rose' part.

tummytickler Sun 18-Jul-10 23:23:15

I love Primrose, but the fact it could be shortened to Rosie puts me off!
If i had another dd i would have alliteration too probably with a JJJ! I think alliteration can sound very cool!

freerangeeggs Sun 18-Jul-10 23:39:01

I love Primrose and think Primrose Palmer sounds great. I like the alliteration.

If your DH still isn't up for it...

Rosamund/Rosamonde
Rosalyn/Roslyn
Rosalind
Roseliese
Rosenwyn
Rosanna/Roseanna
Rosa
Rosabel
Rosalie
Rosaline
Rosina
Rosetta

My favourite, though, is Rose. Rose Palmer is beautiful.

Kathleen123 Mon 19-Jul-10 09:18:57

Rosie as a name on its own is lovely. Its popular, but not as popular as Evie or Olivia.

Colliecross Mon 19-Jul-10 10:49:33

Love Rosabel, very clever of freerange.
Not sure about Primrose with your surname to be honest; is is a bit Brambly Hedge (actually I love Brambly Hedge)
I like Marigold - the rubber gloves have ruined that name.

KnitterNotTwitter Mon 19-Jul-10 10:53:21

Option 1 - chances are that her married name won't begin with a P....!

littledawley Mon 19-Jul-10 10:57:59

I like Primrose or Rose - I also much prefer Rosy as the spelling but I can't say why!

IMIHO Primrose, although fairly unusual is more formal than Rosie - so, if she becomes a barrister (just an example!) "Hello, I'm Primrose Palmer" sounds more formal Than Rosie Palmer. I know that lots of people use Rosie and I like it but I always think it sounds like a nn.

loobylu3 Mon 19-Jul-10 17:20:02

I really like Primrose- I think you should go for this and you still have the option of the nn Rosie.
Rosie is sweet but perhaps a little bit cute for an adult. Rose/ Rosa would be better.

minipie Mon 19-Jul-10 17:31:54

I'm not so keen on Primrose (esp with a P surname) - it's a bit "story book" for me.

I'd go for Rose or another "Rose" name (Rosaline, Rosanna etc) on birth certificate with Rosie as a nn.

Apphia Mon 19-Jul-10 18:08:41

Primrose. It's lovely

lucky1979 Mon 19-Jul-10 19:21:20

Rosie Palm was the chief "seamstress" (prostitute) in the Terry Pratchett books.

I would only go for Primrose if you won't mind that she might end up getting called Prim as a nickname once she gets older. And if she does use her full name at work she'll definitely get called Prim a lot as it's not the most natural derivation.

As everyone else has said, I think that using a longer version might be better for her official name. I speak from experience here - my name is Rosalind and I was called Rosie from the first day. I don't use Rosie at all now, only Rosalind or Rose for short (can't bear Roz) as think Rosie sounds childish, I would HATE having to put it on official forms. Always best to give lots of options I think!

flopsy1974 Mon 19-Jul-10 19:32:11

Primrose is gorgeous but does not go with the surname. I would stick with Rosie.

Lonnie Tue 20-Jul-10 00:35:31

option 1 I think its beautiful

LetLoveRule Tue 20-Jul-10 09:12:49

I know a Rosalie and a Rosanna - both lovely.

beccagrace2 Tue 20-Jul-10 12:33:47

my sister is rowenna, but is known as rosie. tbh i prefer Rose as its more grown up than rosie.

valiumSingleton Tue 20-Jul-10 12:56:15

I know a Rosemary, which I would have thought eugh to 5 years ago, but it's grown on me. Romy is an option as well.

I really do not like Prim at all though.

inveteratenamechanger Tue 20-Jul-10 12:59:40

KnitterNotTwitter , OP's DD might not get married, or if she does, she might choose to keep her name. shock wink

SherbetDibDab Tue 20-Jul-10 13:01:52

I like the Rosemary option.

valiumSingleton Tue 20-Jul-10 13:27:40

Inveteratenamechanger, I agree, I'm 40 and never married and at this stage I wouldn't bother changing my name, it'd be pointless. So it's a good job my first name goes with my second name. My parents actually ruled out Eleanor because it sounds bad with my sur name and I'm glad really. If they'd thought they'd marry me off at 3 and 20!! they were wrong

LittleSilver Tue 20-Jul-10 13:28:51

Primrose is lovely but Rosie uis just such an awful name.

Gleeb Tue 20-Jul-10 13:34:52

Not a fan of the name Rosie either but Primrose is lovely so Option 1.

zenoushka Tue 20-Jul-10 16:36:51

Rose Palmer sounds lovely I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now