This topic is for discussing baby monitors. If you want to buy or sell baby monitors, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

do i need a nanny mat?

(7 Posts)
niaharris12 Thu 25-Feb-16 18:37:47

Ok, this is my first post so please bear with me!!

I am being pressured into buying a nanny mat for baby number 2 by my inlaws. I never had one with ds1 and he was born at 34w5d.
I don't like the idea as my sister in law had one with her dd and became so dependant on it that when they went to a party and little one slept in the pram for a while she was constantly monitoring her and was worried sick as she didn't have the mat.
I have read that in the case of SIDS breathing is the last thing to shut down, so my question is do you think it is worth getting one, if so, can you give me evidence to back it up please? I don't want an argument with my inlaws but i really don't like the idea.

Also, if they want to spend £80 on this child, i really would rather them spend it on something else!!!

Thank you in advance

dementedpixie Thu 25-Feb-16 19:07:58

There is no evidence to show that they help prevent SIDS so I never bothered with one. I assume you mean a movement monitor thing with a pad to monitor breathing?

niaharris12 Thu 25-Feb-16 19:23:23

Hia, yeah that is the one. As I didn't have one with my first, unless there is a medical issue I don't see the point as the research I have done shows there is no real benefit to them. I suppose I was wondering whether I was just being silly or not haha. I always jus had a normal sound monitor

Thankyou for your reply xx

minijoeyjojo Thu 25-Feb-16 19:39:05

It's really completely up to you. I have one and really like it. Just allows me to not worry when she's quiet and has been especially useful when she's not well. No scientific evidence for it, but just gives me peace of mind!

Agreed it'd only alert me when she's stopped breathing, but at least I could then get to her ASAP to do CPR rather than just not knowing.

Equally I'd not be neurotic if it wasn't on (I didn't even use it for the first few weeks as I was too tired to figure out how it worked!)

Goingtobeawesome Thu 25-Feb-16 19:40:03

Just tell them you don't want one.

unimaginativename13 Thu 25-Feb-16 19:50:54

My mum is against them! She said how did we all cope back in the day!

I agree I think you can be over paranoid. The whole think about SIDS is its sudden so isn't going to prevent it.

I've just been roped into a video monitor only so I can see that I don't need to get up!

I want to learn to handle my anxiety and not being paranoid is the first step.

niaharris12 Thu 25-Feb-16 19:58:01

I have told them I don't want one, so my mil asked both my sil to 'talk some sense into me' (!!!!!) My hubby says just say yes and then sell it, but I think that is ridiculous and a waste of money, and I am not that dishonest. ( he has no backbone where his family are concerned ) To placate the girls I said I would do some research, but I am still not sold on the idea. Thankyou for all your replies x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now