Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else injecting Imraldi? Please tell me it gets better!

(8 Posts)
WeeDangerousSpike Mon 04-Nov-19 14:35:33

I injected Imraldi today for the first time. 4 injections, a nurse came to teach me how.

Now I fully accept I have quite a low pain threshold, but oh my god! It hurt far more than I expected, I don't know how I'm going to be able to do this to myself!

I tried numbing with an ice pack, but even then it really really stings - the best I managed was to press it on my leg, then she pressed too to do the last bit and hold it down. I sat there for about quarter of an hour trying to do it, I just couldn't.

How the hell am I going to do this every 2 weeks?!

6demandingchildren Tue 12-Nov-19 04:24:10

It gets easier, I find not pulling the skin taught helps with the pain. I always feel it in my right leg but never my left.

WeeDangerousSpike Tue 12-Nov-19 07:30:01

Thanks. I've got an appt on Monday to try again. I've asked DP to be here, so if all else fails he can do it and then I can hopefully build up to doing it myself over a few weeks.

WeeDangerousSpike Mon 18-Nov-19 16:40:32

Just in case anyone in the same situation stumbles on the thread and it helps - second go today with 2 injections. Just couldn't do it, so we're going ahead with DP doing it for me.

So bloody frustrating that it's apparently a non essential ingredient that makes it hurt. But I guess with the NHS using it rather than people buying it privately and able to choose there's no incentive to spend money making it less painful.

Hippopotas Fri 22-Nov-19 08:32:27

Make sure it’s warmed to room temperature before injecting. That helps with the sting.

DotBall Sun 22-Dec-19 20:34:02

Ask to change to Amgevita. It’s another biosimilar version of adalimumab bit doesn’t have the stingy citrate in it.

Mumelie Sun 22-Dec-19 20:45:58

Try it in your tummy rather than leg - I've not had more than a mild 1 second sting with it. Good luck

WeeDangerousSpike Mon 23-Dec-19 11:21:11

Hey, thanks all smile I've been taking it out to warm up, and using an ice pack on my leg, which does help with the 'surface' sting, but the deeper sting still hurts far more than being something I can do to myself, iyswim. We are persevering with DP just stabbing me and getting it over with, followed by copious swearing.

When I did the 4 pen loading dose the nurse did 2 in my leg and 2 in my tummy. I think they were equally as horrid.

I'm actually in hospital right now (have been for 10 days) because it's all got a bit out of control, so you never know, maybe they'll change it to something else. They were making noises about doing one that's done by infusion, but I've got a flexi sig today before they decide anything.

Also the hospital is an hour from my house, so a regular infusion is a pita if there is a self injected alternative.

Hey ho, just see what today brings....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »