Talk

Advanced search

If you are reasonably fit aged 50+

(14 Posts)
HoliBobber Fri 01-Nov-19 11:40:19

What exercise did you do in your 30s and 40s? How did you get started? What was your motivation and what kept you motivated? How do you feel now?

Looking for inspiration really. I was diagnosed with rare lung disease aged 36. My consultant has advised me to exercise more or I will feel it when I get older.

Some things are out - I can't keep up with a netball team, competitive badminton, won't be running a marathon, but I could manage 5k, gym classes, swimming, aqua fit, snorkelling holidays, snow sports, cycling etc. Have just rejoined the gym.

The main thing is consistency as I feel like I lose fitness quickly and I suffer with fear of breathlessness. Planning is my friend here and short term goals, steady progress etc.

I want to hear from people who have to work at it but do manage to keep fit.

Ideas welcome, or just if anyone relates to this!

HoliBobber Fri 01-Nov-19 11:41:21

Hmm I meant to post this under Exercise, will get it moved.

GrumpyHoonMain Fri 01-Nov-19 11:48:58

You need a range of low and high impact cardio activities. Yoga that initially focusses on breathing is really good for early COPD etc and similar but you should combine it with cardio - brisk walks for at least 30-60mins, jogs if you can handle it, brisk swimming is also good

LoyaltyBonus Fri 01-Nov-19 11:49:52

I was fairly active in that I did a lot of walking, volunteering with kids and some gardening but did no "exercise" between leaving school and mid 30s. Then I trained for and ran a race for life and joined a running club. Have never looked back. Since then have run 4-5 times per week and do 2-3 strength/mobility classes designed to help my running.

Gstaaddad Fri 01-Nov-19 12:25:47

I was diagnosed with lung sarcoid when I was 29; lung function about 50% of what it should be due to fibrosis. Consultant emphasised ‘using the lungs’, ie exercising, so for the last twenty years I have tried to keep fit mainly via walking, jogging, tennis etc. Like you I get pretty breathless but was told that was a good thing! It does get harder as one gets older, and I notice it if I go for a week without any exercise. So yes; have to work at it, but stay reasonably fit. Bought a treadmill too, as I was finding too many weather related excuses not to go out!

HoliBobber Sun 03-Nov-19 17:47:15

Thank you so much for your replies.

Good suggestion about yoga and breathing. Definitely agree about variety and combining exercise. Looking at NHS for guidelines, I'm hoping I can get to that level of activity.

@LoyaltyBonus This is what I'm hoping for, that it will click and become routine. There is a very friendly running club I've been to, I could go back there.

@Gstaadad Sorry to hear of your early diagnosis. I don't know many people with a similar thing. My lung function is 90% and as I have small lungs it comes out at 74% of a 'normal' person. The heart pounding is what gets me, but no one seems too worried about it. That's so inspiring that you work at it and stay reasonably fit, that is exactly the path I want to take.

Cuddlysnowleopard Sun 03-Nov-19 17:50:33

Not the same, but I am asthmatic and am definitely better when I am fit.

I go the the gym, and do park run, but try and mix it up. I just tell myself, 30 mins x5 times a week is doable.

It gives me the option of having a lazy day.

CherryPavlova Sun 03-Nov-19 17:54:23

Ask to be referred for pulmonary rehabilitation then join a gym and build up your cardiothoracic capacity so that you retain breathing effectiveness for longer.

salsamad Sun 03-Nov-19 18:12:55

When I was in my 20s and early 30s I did step classes and aerobics at least twice a week and kept a watch on my diet. I still ate chocolate, biscuits, puddings etc as I have a sweet tooth but in moderation. I have never smoked and only occasionally drink. In my late 30s I started running instead of taking aerobics classes (to save money) and I also started yoga every week.
I'm 54 now and feel that I have really good stamina and flexibility. I run twice a week (even in bad weather) in addition to the weekly yoga session. I would definitely recommend yoga every week - i really feel great after each session. Yoga helps with core strength and posture. It also helps you to de-stress and teaches breathing techniques and relaxation.

Gstaaddad Tue 05-Nov-19 14:16:22

@HoliBobber Thank you; can be hard work though! I do get the pounding heart, but no pain, and the suggestion is that it’s doing me good and is nothing to worry about...

afternoonspray Tue 05-Nov-19 14:23:27

Definitely consider taking up some sort of flow yoga - Power yoga,. vinyasa, strala, bikram - any that flow the poses into each other. This really promotes all aspects of health.. It's surprisingly intense as you are often lifting your own body weight or most of it. It builds strength alongside suppleness, so you never get muscle bound afterwards, just feel a good ache where you've worked out.
I love walking too - it's healthy to walk in pine woods, gppd cardio to hill walk, interesting and enjoyable to walk around cities instead of using transport.

I do other forms of exercise but they are quite intense so not sure you'd want to try them - but any form of boxing training, from martial arts ot body combat is a great all round work out that keeps you strong and supple.

I'm not that passionate about swimming or cycling (especially cycling) but will do them rather than sit at home all afternoon.

HoliBobber Wed 06-Nov-19 21:15:22

You are all so lovely thank you.

@Cuddlysnowleopard You are right mixing it up is key. At the moment I have too many lazy days.

@CherryPavlova I don't think I am eligible for Pulmonary Rehab but I am doing British Lung Foundations Active Steps programme

In my 20s I had quite active jobs, walked everywhere, and was often cycling, skating, swimming and doing bikram yoga. In my 30s, I haven't been as active as I would have liked (intermittent yoga, cycling, swimming), letting work take over, though I did cycle through the med which was fun. I did the NHS Couch to 5k programme after lung surgery which was great.

So I've come up with a plan

Mon - Step Fit
Tues - Pilates
Thurs - HIIT Cardio and Abs Class
Sat - Boxercise

I have also booked some yoga workshops and I will have a look for some walking groups to join.

TheDogsMother Wed 06-Nov-19 21:25:31

I do HIIT type workouts which also include weights, resistance and core. 30 mins five times a week using DVDs at home. Being post menopausal keeping weight off can be harder and I'm am mindful of bone density

nodogzformetoday Wed 06-Nov-19 21:28:05

Try weights. I get really light-headed due to anemia but weights are great. You improve every time and you feel strong and powerful. It's a fantastic feeling knowing you can deadlift your own weight. Get a trainer to sort form at first

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »