Talk

Advanced search

Private Thyroid Testing

(3 Posts)
mindutopia Fri 04-Oct-19 09:22:16

Has anyone paid privately for thyroid function tests? How much and where and what did you get tested? Probably somewhere near Central London would be best, unless they can be done by post?

RightYesButNo Sat 05-Oct-19 11:09:08

@mindutopia - I haven’t had private thyroid testing done (mine was covered), but as no one has answered your question, I went digging for answers for you. Here’s some information that I hope might by helpful.

First, someone asked the same question here in 2014 (just proves needs don’t change, do they!). Obviously, the information will be a bit dated, but here’s the link to that thread with some answers of private thyroid testing facilities in London, and one to avoid, it appears:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2188946-Private-thyroid-testing-in-London

Next, ThyroidUK have a page with information about private testing. Here it is:
www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testing/private_tests.html

Both they and the 2014 thread mention Blue Horizon, which will run the tests for you at a London patient centre. I read reviews and most Google reviews were five stars except for two (one complained about wait and another complained they weren’t diagnosed properly, and a rep for Blue Horizon politely explained they weren’t supposed to diagnose). Here’s a link to their London location: bloodtestslondon.com/
A full “London Thyroid Check” which includes TSH, T4, free T3, free T4, Thyroid peroxidase antibodies, Thyroglobulin antibodies, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Ferritin, Folate and C reactive Protein, costs £169.

I would imagine other places would probably be in the same range to stay competitive, so maybe between £150 and £300, depending on if they have a consultant explain the results to you and things like that.

Sorry I don’t have more specific information, and good luck, OP. I hope you find the answers you need!

Ilovefluffysheep Wed 16-Oct-19 10:20:36

I used medichecks, they always do a special offer on Thursday for thyroid tests.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »