Talk

Advanced search

Steroid injection.

(4 Posts)
PointlessUsername Sun 18-Aug-19 15:59:17

Hello all,

I was given a steriod injection last week at Rhuemy appointment for possible i dont know what?

I do have hashimotos and despite treatment and my tsh being at 18 then down to 0.25 symptoms stay the same.

My question is would the steriod injection had made much difference in 4 days? I dont feel much improvement as yet?.

Symptoms are joint pain, tierdness, muscle pain sore to touch, pins & needles and i have a vibration feeling throught my body. I havent got a diagnosis for the vibration/tremor feeling yet.

The rhuematologist sugested the steriod injection in the buttocks i guess to see if it was inflammation and if i were too feel better then start Hydroxychloriquine at my next appointment.

How quickly does the steroid usually kick in?

Thank you.

MitziK Sun 18-Aug-19 16:25:12

It can vary depending upon the severity of the inflammation, exactly what's most affected, the condition and plain luck.

I've had ones where I've started feeling better within four hours, nothing for 24 hours and then waking up feeling invincible and I've had ones where I've only started feeling improvement a week later.

But I've got Psoriatic Arthritis, so for me, it depends upon whether it's mainly joints or tendons inflamed at that exact time. It didn't feel like it was working when I had intra articular joint or plantar fascia injections at all, but they did slowly start improving at an even slower rate.

Keep a note on all your symptoms, not just the worst ones, and you might find improvement gradually happening.

PointlessUsername Sun 18-Aug-19 18:14:32

@MitziK

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure about the tendons, i have a lump on the back of my ankle and another inside of my elbow i did show the Dr but he didnt say much about them. They are real sore to touch they have gone down a little since the injection.

I will do a diary too, thanks for the idea.

ISawyouinTescoyesterday Sun 01-Dec-19 12:32:56

I think everyone is different. Mine worked the following day but has since worn off and I can feel the inflammation back on my knee again. I am going to contact rheumatology about the one in the bum next time I'm there I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »