Talk

Advanced search

Could this be MS

(23 Posts)
TigsytheTiger Fri 16-Aug-19 17:36:54

I have seen a Neurologist and waiting on a brain/spine MRI.

I started experiencing tingling pins and needles in my left hand about 2 months and it's now almost constant, travelling up my arm and sometimes a fizzing feeling in my shoulder. It also feels numb and weak. When he did a pun prick test there was noticeable less feeling in my left hand.

My eyesight has also deteriorated during the same time and although my distance vision is still fine I'm using my glasses for anything close up almost constantly whereas just a few months ago it was just to read a menu or a cooking instruction on a packet.

MS hasn't been mentioned but I'm worried these are the early signs and wondered if anyone else has experienced similar?

thethoughtfox Fri 16-Aug-19 17:40:22

Im not an expert but do have someone close with MS. The sensation symptoms sound like classic MS symptoms. Google optic neuritis - does this sound like what is happening with your eyes?

TigsytheTiger Fri 16-Aug-19 17:46:09

Thanks for replying, I don't have any pain or blurry spots. It's just everything close up is just that much harder to see very suddenly. I've gone from using my glasses once or twice a day to having them on constantly to read/look at my phone/use the computer as I can't see clearly otherwise.

I haven't even mentioned the vision to the consultant as I thought it was unrelated and when he asked thought he meant double vision. It's only after googling (not helpful always) that I've realised there may be a connection.

AlunWynsKnee Fri 16-Aug-19 17:52:38

It could be but it could be other things too.
The eye sight might just be a coincidence - mine's got worse but I think it's just my age!

MrsBennetsnerves Wed 28-Aug-19 14:50:43

I have some similar symptoms but no diagnosis yet as I'm seeing a neurologist for the first time this weekend. I have pins and needles in hands feet and hip, worse on one side and slight facial numbness same side. No obvious muscle weakness but have been feeling fatigued most days so can't get as much done. I am not sure if my eyesight is getting worse overall but I have had some blurry episodes, unlike you. Hopefully we both get some answers soon although I understand the road to diagnosis can be slow.

TigsytheTiger Fri 30-Aug-19 19:40:29

I hope so, still waiting for my MRI date and will probably have to reschedule my consultant appointment. The pins and needles seem to have improved in the last few days, not sure if that's a good or bad sign. Fingers crossed for you too

worriedaboutmygirl Fri 30-Aug-19 19:48:37

I wouldn't jump to MS although of course it could possibly be. Your eye issue sounds more like long sightedness than MS. My eyesight declined really quickly over a few months recently but it wasn't a nerve issue (which it's likely to be in MS I think). I've had a previous optic neuritis which was a completely different experience. I don't have MS but I do have a condition that mimics it.

MrsBennetsnerves Mon 09-Sep-19 21:46:59

My neurologist didn't think MS was likely but believes spinal problems, possibly ankylosing spondylotis is causing nerve compression. To be fair I've had some back pain for years which has taken a turn for the worse. I had MRIs done today in 2 different parts of my spine.

elrider Tue 10-Sep-19 20:27:45

Have you looked into B12/pernicious anaemia? It's often misdiagnosed as MS as there are many overlapping symptoms. B12 deficiency often isn't checked for or even if it is, you can be at the low end of the acceptable lab range and still have symptoms, but the doctor will tell you it's not that. There are some very helpful websites and Facebook groups if you look up pernicious anaemia/B12 deficiency online.

TigsytheTiger Wed 11-Sep-19 10:48:51

Thank you, will look into! Hope everyone else awaiting results and investigation gets good news. I had my MRI last Friday and my consultant appointment is now on 24th September. Tingling and weakness in hands and arms seems to have got a bit better in last few weeks but not sure what that does or doesn't say.

MrsC89 Tue 24-Sep-19 20:28:13

MS is a scary diagnosis, or potential diagnosis. I was diagnosed with MS 2.5 years ago, so I do get what you are going through. There are so many different symptoms of MS and they can mirror so many different things. Fingers crossed your neuro appointment went ok today

TigsytheTiger Wed 25-Sep-19 17:58:26

Thank you! It's very frustrating. The consultant ordered an MRI of my brain and spine but when I got there they said they only had a form to do my brain. I rang the consultants secretary after to query and she said there were definitely 2 requests but she would investigate and come back to me if I needed to go back.

I heard nothing so went to my appointment yesterday and he said my brain scan was fine but where was my spine scan, so I explained and he tutted and has sent a request for an urgent MRI of my spine.

The tingling and numbness in my hands and arms feels better but I now have a burning stinging sensation in both feet. He's asked me about any history of neuropathy in my family but there's none I'm aware of and has said after the spine MRI comes back he will do a nerv

TigsytheTiger Wed 25-Sep-19 18:00:29

Oops posted too soon .... he will do a nerve conduction test as there is obviously something neurological going on. He also recommended starting a B12 supplement, which I will do.

Very frustrated of Surrey atm!

Teddybear45 Wed 25-Sep-19 18:04:21

Did you have thyroid / diabetes / RH factor tests before going to the neurologist?

TigsytheTiger Wed 25-Sep-19 18:10:41

Yes all of those! All tests came back normal

elrider Wed 25-Sep-19 19:06:41

It would be best to have a B12 test done before starting a supplement as they will skew your results for up to 4 months after stopping taking them so can mask a deficiency if you have one. You can order one online to do a finger prick test at home if your GP won't do one.

TigsytheTiger Wed 25-Sep-19 19:34:24

Yes I had a B12 test done and the Neurologist said it was on low side so hence the supplement advice

MrsC89 Sat 28-Sep-19 08:58:59

@TigsytheTiger I hope you get the date for your next MRI soon.
It must be so frustrating with things taking longer than they should before you get an answer.

TigsytheTiger Sat 28-Sep-19 17:09:53

Thank you! Out of curiosity how long did it take from first noticing symptoms to getting a diagnosis? Sorry that's for @MrsC89

MrsC89 Sat 28-Sep-19 17:47:08

@TigsytheTiger I think mine is a little out of the ordinary if in honest. I had many MS symptoms since the age of 17 but drs carried on putting it down to other things. March 2017 I had a massive relapse, went to the doctors multiple times and called an ambulance one day. They put it all down to ears, got an appointment scheduled with an ENT, they did hearing tests but weren't convinced it was my ears, so they ordered the MRI, so first time I saw the neuro I went with my MRI already seen by him. Confirmed MS there and then. I was really lucky I had private medical insurance through work at that point, so I had been diagnosed by the April. The number of lesions on my scan made it obvious, so I guess I was lucky in that way that I didnt need any more tests to confirm diagnosis

TigsytheTiger Sat 28-Sep-19 20:13:21

@MrsC89 goodness! Thank you for sharing - did the lesions show on your brain or spine scan or was it both? It's interesting to hear different stories but as you say so many of the symptoms mimic other diseases

MrsC89 Sat 28-Sep-19 20:37:09

@TigsytheTiger I only had a brain scan, there were so many lesions the easiest way I described it to people was I have dalmatian spots on my brain! Every image the consultant showed me there was more than one, and basically seemed all over. I have one on the brain stem which is the one that mainly affects me

Bluewavescrashing Sat 28-Sep-19 20:44:55

This is interesting to me as I'm seeing a neurologist privately in a few weeks. GP and endocrinologist diagnosed ME but I've had a lot of pins and needles in hands, feet, face and head, localised pain in various locations, one leg gave way recently and my reactions are quite slow on a reflex test. Blurry vision too. Fatigue has improved somewhat mainly as I'm not working at the moment and DCs are at school. I'm hoping for an MRI to rule out MS.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »