Talk

Advanced search

Lupus - am I stuck with this now?

(4 Posts)
MrsRussell Sat 29-Jun-19 08:57:48

So, had lupus diagnosed about 9 years ago and it's not been too much grief so far - I manage it without meds, main symptoms are dry eyes, skin flares and arthritis.
Managed to acquire a cold last week and the tag end of it I've suddenly come out in a huge whole-body rash of hives and am suffering rather badly from D&V. My suspicion is that my perimenopausal immune system has just gone into meltdown - I haven't eaten anything unusual, and nobody else in the house is affected - is this a normal thing with lupus - has it upped its game, basically -, or have I just copped for two things together due to having a crap immune system?

Any help appreciated....

HoneysuckIejasmine Sat 29-Jun-19 08:59:38

Yes it can do that, but do contact your consultant asap due to your escalation in symptoms.

Sorry, chronic illnesses suck. A lot.

MrsRussell Sat 29-Jun-19 09:03:04

Thanks @Honeysucklejasmine. I wondered whether it was likely to kick off due to being in what they rather gracelessly described as "the foothills of the menopause". Bugger.

But hopefully the D&V will just bugger off like normal D&V though?

HoneysuckIejasmine Sat 29-Jun-19 10:05:50

I'm not sure tbh, my symptoms are very different from yours (joint pain, fatigue, photosensitivity) which of course is what makes lupus such a tricky disease! As I say though, definitely keep in touch with your consultant and perhaps ask for a blood test to see if your immune markers are far above where they usually are? That would indicate current infection or flare up; if you have a few and they remain elevated then it might be time for medication.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »