Talk

Advanced search

Hashimotos / Underactive thyroid .. questions to ask doctor?

(3 Posts)
Pomgirl Fri 28-Jun-19 13:36:01

I have had my final bloods this week to determine my medication dosage for hasimotos and underactive tyroid, going back to the doctors tuesday and want advise what questions to ask? I want to understand my stage and levels aswell (part

Thanks in advance

Pomgirl Mon 01-Jul-19 14:17:09

Can anyone help grin

NaToth Tue 02-Jul-19 12:29:15

Ask for a printout of your test results, so you can see exactly what was tested and where the figures sit. You will then be able to compare with subsequent tests. If they're actually planning to treat you, I would expect to see a TSH over 10 and/or an FT4 below the reference range, together with above range TPO antibodies.

If you Google CKS Hypothyroidism, you will find the treatment protocol, which might help. If they put you on medication now, they should give you at least 50 mcgs and you will need to follow the instructions for taking it carefully, and then go back in six weeks to be re-tested. What you're aiming for is a TSH below 2 and an FT4 in the top 25% of the reference range.

Your antibodies will do what they do, but some people have success in reducing them by following a gluten free diet.

Come back and let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »