Talk

Advanced search

One sided weakness

(10 Posts)
domton Fri 31-May-19 22:08:59

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the above.

I am on my third episode of this weakness in my right arm and leg. The first time they thought it was a stroke, but MRI clear. I've had a cervical spine MRI too, also clear. It comes on gradually, lasts for about a week or ten days, gradually getting better. I think it remains a little weaker each time though.

Face not affected, arm worse than leg. Quite noticeable nerve pain, electric shocks in arm and reduced sensation and pins and needles in leg.

I have lupus, controlled by azathioprine. I have a neurology appt next week, but I'm really beginning to get anxious, and wondered if anyone had any experience of this. Thanks.

AForest Sat 01-Jun-19 12:45:48

Have you had any blood tests? Nerve conduction tests? I have similar, although other symptoms too, and waiting for neurology appointment for a scan.

12 years ago I had a brief episode of weakness on one side which was diagnosed as a strange migraine without a headache. There are so many possibilities with nerve symptoms, it can be hard not to speculate. I would see the clear scans as a good sign. I hope your appointment goes well flowers

domton Sat 01-Jun-19 21:49:58

Thank you xx I do see clear scans as a good sign, but also a bad sign I suppose insofar as tests came back clear for years with lupus...because they weren't running the right ones.

No nerve conduction tests yet, hopefully they will be arranged, though had them about ten years ago awaiting lupus diagnosis and all clear.

I get migraines two days before a period. Never any other time. None of these episodes have been after our during a headache. Tracked them against my periods, nothing.

I'll update. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it xx

Flossie44 Mon 03-Jun-19 00:59:30

My daughter has crps and sometimes affects her this way. Hope you get to the bottom of it. X

domton Mon 03-Jun-19 18:35:27

Thanks Flossie.

I'm gutted because my lupus had caused pain for years, and the azathioprine has finally killed the pain. I feel really well for the first time in years...apart from this.

Appointment tomorrow morning. Time will tell. Thank you xx

domton Tue 04-Jun-19 07:04:03

Here we go then. smile

Flossie44 Tue 04-Jun-19 14:43:39

How did it go?

AForest Tue 04-Jun-19 20:18:41

I hope it went well @domton

domton Tue 04-Jun-19 23:17:18

Thanks all. Hmm. Pretty useless really.

She suggested hemiplaegic migraines as I suspected, even though the weakness lasts far longer and is becoming permanent.

She offered a lumbar puncture which I refused: I established that if it did reveal inflammation then the course of action would be to increase my immuno suppressants...something I'm not prepared to do because the toxicity is too risky in my opinion. It's a case of taking as small a dose as possible, so as I wouldn't be prepared to do the treatment a lumbar puncture would be pointless. She thought also that it would come back normal.

She took bloods for clotting; lupus puts you at higher risks for clotting problems, and also tumour markers for blood cancers. I suspect they will be fine.

So it's currently a case of living with it...she's left my appt. open should it worsen. So, that's it. Essentially, everything's fine. :/

I have to have a doctor free few months, I'm sick of it all. If it worsens however, I may seek a second opinion. But for now, that's it. :/

Thanks for asking xx

Flossie44 Wed 05-Jun-19 07:20:21

Sorry to hear your app was fruitless. I really think you should investigate crps. My daughter has weakness. It’s down her left side and it flares so bad that sometimes she’s paralysed. When it improves, she’s left with permanent underlying sensation changes and weakness. Worth a look. Not many doctors know about it.

Take care

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »