Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

B12 Insufficiency question

(6 Posts)
SerialGoogler Wed 13-Jun-18 18:18:30

Hello,
posting here as possible link to pernicious anaemia. I've done a couple of blood tests in March and June, primarily for thyroid function which I am monitoring due to family history and because GPs only do basic TSH and that isn't the whole picture. Anyway, as part of those profiles my B12 has come back twice as insufficient: 193 & 198 with insufficient range 145 - 250. I am certain is isn't my diet as I eat meat, eggs, fortified foods etc regularly.
For further background, the doctors notes from the private test suggests keeping an eye on thyroid function as if trend continues results suggest I will eventually need treatment. This could be a year/s down the line though.
Are the B12 results worth a GP visit or self treatment?

andalittlebitofpixiedust Mon 18-Jun-18 22:50:03

www.b12deficiency.info will tell you more. Also a great FB group Called Pernicious Anaemia / B12 Deficiency Support.

MellowMelly Mon 18-Jun-18 23:05:55

My daughter takes Riboflavin and it has significantly helped her. We just buy them from Holland and Barretts. Her energy levels went through the roof within about a week!

Labradoodliedoodoo Mon 18-Jun-18 23:16:47

Low b12 can be dietary or gluten related or thyroid or other.

Cliona1972 Tue 19-Jun-18 21:40:07

If you eat a balanced diet and are still deficient, it may be that you cannot absorb it through your food.Injection may be needed, sorry sad

HerRoyalNotness Tue 19-Jun-18 21:49:43

I spent 6 maths taking supplements without zero change to B12 levels. I have RA (newly diagnosed) which can affect absorption. I’m now on weekly injections. Can’t say I notice a difference, I have to have bloods soon to check. It’s worth trying though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: