Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have you managed to get a balance?

(8 Posts)
KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Tue 13-Mar-18 09:57:41

Having a hard time at the moment with Hashimoto's and Fibro.

I just wondered if anyone has managed to feel better and get more of a life with an autoimmune condition and, if so, how you've managed it?

timeistight Tue 13-Mar-18 13:25:00

Yes, I take 2.5 grains of natural desiccated thyroid extract every day, vitamin B12, B complex, selenium, vitamin D and vitamin K2. I had had thyroid problems for a very long time before I was eventually diagnosed and treated and now feel better in my sixties than I did in my twenties.

What's happening with you?

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Tue 13-Mar-18 14:44:35

Thank you for this.

Just up to 175mg Levo - I asked for this raise as bloods were in range but T4 and T3 could do with being a bit higher. I've felt really ill the past few months and picked up every bug going which hasn't helped.

I'm now taking a vast cocktail of supplements to try and feel better - D3, Vit B1, B12, B complex, selenium, magnesium, vit k, iron, vit C, zinc, various omegas, ashwanga, liver care tabs. I'm now gluten free, sugar free, dairy free.

I was starting to feel better but feel like I've been hit by a bus today. I'm just so exhausted and wiped out. I have zero resilience - I'm just shattered.

I'm 38 and I feel like my life is over.

SluttyButty Tue 13-Mar-18 20:16:23

Taking too much thyroxine can make you feel really crappy too, I’ve been overmedicated on it and I felt really unwell. I have hashis and fibro and other autoimmune diseases too and I’ve had to accept my new normal. I have to pace, for me I’m never going to feel truly well again.

I’d ask to have your tsh and t4 tested again.

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Tue 13-Mar-18 21:19:39

Thanks Slutty - what symptoms did you have on overmedication? I'm very hypo at the moment - tired, cold, not losing weight. My T4 was mid range and TSH was 0.26. people on Health Unlocked forum advised asking for a slight raise to try and get T4 a bit higher. I am conscious of not wanting to overdo it.

SluttyButty Wed 14-Mar-18 08:33:07

Kinky you don’t necessarily lose weight when you’re overmedicated. Your tsh was on the low side of normal so definitely get it checked again because you could have slipped into hyper. I tend to avoid any thyroid groups because when I did join a few I read some really dangerous advice.
Symptoms I had when hyper were that I felt very poorly, my insides were shaking like an (genuine) anxiety feeling, internal vibrations is how I described it to the rheumatology nurse who’d discovered I was over medicated. I also had heart palpitations. Never lost any weight and still felt cold and incredibly tired.
I feel best when my tsh is around 0.4ish and have to change my dose periodically with my Gp to keep it in check.

timeistight Wed 14-Mar-18 12:52:24

Just to say that you can't be over-replaced if your FT4 is mid-range.

You're only hyper if your TSH is suppressed and both FT3 and FT4 are above the reference ranges, but if that's because you're taking too much thyroid replacement, you're over-replaced, not strictly hyper.

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Mon 19-Mar-18 15:40:07

Thanks both. No palpitations/anxiety, but still feeling incredibly wiped out. sad

Don't know what else to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now