Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What should I be doing to watch my weight?

(9 Posts)
Wetwashing00 Mon 04-Dec-17 11:13:14

I was diagnosed with auto-immune hypothyroidism in June. I’ve had my dosages of Levothyroxine increased every 6 weeks since as my TSH levels have been crazy high.
My most recent blood test showed my TSH was 39 and I’m currently on 75mg of Levothyroxine.
Ive looked on websites to help manage my weight and the #1 priority is to get onto the right dosage.
I’m still going between putting on a few pounds/maintaining and still have all the usual hypo symptoms so it’s obvious I’m not at the correct dose yet.
My DH has made some snide comments about my weight as he doesn’t think I’m doing enough to try and lose (I’m still 2 stone overweight from baby 4years age)
I eat healthy and have a very active job but not currently doing any exercise.
Just wanted to ask if I should be? Isn’t it pointless at the moment, my thoughts are that I’d tackle my weight once I get the right meds, but am I doing it wrong?

timeistight Mon 04-Dec-17 13:29:43

75mcgs is less than the standard starting dose, which should be 100mcg in a person under 50 with no signs of heart disease, so you've a way to go yet and your TSH of 39 confirms it. When you're optimally medicated, that TSH should be around 1, and probably below 1. When you get to that point, you have a fighting chance of losing some weight.

Your DH needs to back off while you get yourself right.

Wetwashing00 Mon 04-Dec-17 13:34:08

Thanks for your reply, I did question the starting dose (which was 25mg) but my GP said that it was best to start off small and Work my way up.

Should I not worry about my weight at the moment then? As it’s near impossible to lose with my levels the way they are. My DH thinks otherwise and just thinks I’m using it as an excuse.

hevonbu Tue 05-Dec-17 18:27:52

Why not check out Mary Shomon's book "The Thyroid Diet"?

timeistight Thu 07-Dec-17 19:31:31

Until you're optimally medicated, nothings going to work. You can't help it at the moment. End of.

Wetwashing00 Sat 09-Dec-17 05:58:59

Thanks for the replies.

Wetwashing00 Wed 03-Jan-18 11:28:25

My TSH result came in this morning, still 17.4!!!
I asked my doctor if I will start to lose weight when I get in range but she told me no.
So now I’m really confused, if I’m following a healthy eating diet and I’m regularly active now why won’t I lose weight when my t-levels get in range?
I was under the impression that it was my thyroid preventing me to lose weight.

timeistight Wed 03-Jan-18 17:42:19

If it helps, I lost a stone and a half in three months when I got onto a proper dose of thyroxine. Getting the other stone and a half required more effort, but I've just about done it now.

Let's get your levels right and then, with duet and exercise (and determination) you should be able to do it.

Wetwashing00 Sat 06-Jan-18 19:10:41

That’s encouraging. I only need to lose about 2 stone.
I’m quite puzzled about what my doctor said though, why wouldn’t I be able to lose weight?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now