Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low thyroid when do you start to feel better?

(8 Posts)
EachandEveryone Thu 30-Nov-17 20:00:11

I was started on 25 nhs of Thyroxine four weeks ago. I’m sick of listing my symptoms but the main one that’s had me off Work is my feet and knees I’m in agony and I’ve notice pockets of odema around my joints. I feel as if no one believes me when I say it’s agony. I’m due to go back for another blood test to check my levels at Christmas. When will it kick in?

thereinmadnesslies Thu 30-Nov-17 20:04:04

25mcg is a useless dose. You will probably end up on 100mcg or more. Go back to your GP and ask for the dose to be raised.

thereinmadnesslies Thu 30-Nov-17 20:06:02

beta.nhs.uk/medicines/levothyroxine/
This NHS article suggests a starting dose should be 50mcg or more

LineysRunner Thu 30-Nov-17 20:08:35

50 is the lower end start dose, isn't it? This seems a bit odd tbh, given your severe symptoms. flowers

EachandEveryone Thu 30-Nov-17 20:42:02

Deffo 25 I’m a nurse and I’ve been off two weeks sick and the third week I went to nyc for a planned holiday which was a huge mistake but I didn’t want to
Let my friends down. I feel useless. She also took me off my water tablets and put me on a stronger med for my blood pressure and I think that’s why I’m retsinibg water. Since I turned 50 in September I’m falling to pieces!

LineysRunner Thu 30-Nov-17 21:08:42

I do know how you feel about 'falling to pieces', especially with an auto-immune situation, and being 50+.

I had to get quite assertive with my GP, over sorting out a combination of issues: thyroid; menopause / HRT / gynae; blood pressure; skin (psoriasis); fatigue & sleep. Oh, and the gynae pain. And getting proper referrals - not simply sent to the GP in the next room who'd bang on about the joys of the mirena coil.

So we're finally nearly getting there.

My levothyroxine dose is 75, HRT sequi is 50, feeling good today. Skin has cleared and BP well controlled. And I'm sleeping better. Finally.

MiniMum97 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:06:48

You should be retested 6 weeks after you started levo so make sure your test is booked in. You may have been started on 25mcg as that is the starting dose for older people. Perhaps this starts at 50?

You should continue 6 week testing and raising of your dose until your T4 is in upper 1/4 of range and TSH is under 1 and you feel well.

You should take levo on an empty stomach. I take mine first thing, an hour before eating or drinking anything other than water. You should keep supplements and other meds at least 4 hrs away.

When you get tested make sure you do so first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If T4 is being tested then last levo dose should be 24hrs before. If you are taking any supplements with biotin stop these 4-5 days before testing as biotin can give false results in immunoassay tests.

You should also get your tested thyroid antibodies, vit d, ferritin, folate and b12. This is because if you have Hashimotos you should be gluten free to try to reduce antibodies. And if you are hypothyroid you are likely to have low vitamins as hypothyroidism causes low stomach acid and therefore reduction in absorption of nutrients. Low vitamins cause lots of similar symptoms to hypothyroidism and also can mean that your body doesn't use your levo properly. You can get private tests if gp won't agree.

It can take months to feel better sadly. You have to be patient. I was diagnosed and started medication in May and did not start to feel better until September.

Hope that helps.

crispinquent Thu 30-Nov-17 22:34:36

Placemarking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now