Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Not sure if this is the right place, but it is rheumatoid arthritis, so hopefully it is.

(5 Posts)
MaureenMLove Thu 30-Nov-17 19:48:46

Apologies, if I'm getting in to a topic that's for people with far more serious auto immune diseases than me, but I need some advice.

I've just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and until my hospital appointment on 13th December, I'm at a bit of a loss with this pain.

Anyone else a sufferer and care to offer any quick relief ideas? The pain in my thumb tonight it unbearable. It wakes me up at 3am and then that's me for the day. This morning, it was my hands and feet. It took me until at least 10.30am before I was relatively comfortable enough to concentrate on anything. Worst thing is, my job is at its most critical and important between 7am and 9 am, so not helpful at all.

Any ideas anyone, until I can talk it all through with the professionals.

Thanks.

HappyHedgehog247 Thu 30-Nov-17 20:48:11

Hello. So sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with this. Medication wise you could take anti-inflmmatories before bed. Compression gloves you sleep in might help. Soak hands in bath in morning, do some stretching to help thumb. For some people diet changes make a HUGE difference. Cut out gluten, dairy, sugar. Look up Paddison programme. Good luck x

MaureenMLove Thu 30-Nov-17 21:17:39

Thank you. Sorry, I had a visitor, so had to stop for a cuppa!

Got the anti flams and typically washing up helps!, so I understand the soaking in the bath! I'm going to look at that programme now. And thing about my diet. It's pretty good tbh. Not fussed about anything sugary most of the time, but I can try gluten free.

My biggest worry is that all the things that I enjoy, I need my hands in good working order more than most, if that makes sense! I make and decorate cakes for friends and family and crochet a lot!

mrsharrison Sun 10-Dec-17 10:03:26

I dip my hands in a bowlfull of ice which helps bring down inflammation plus rubbing in voltarol. Can you get Naproxen on prescription while waiting?

MaureenMLove Sun 10-Dec-17 18:53:57

God, the thought of ice cold water filled me with dread! I get it, it makes sense that cold reduces the inflammation and hot probably inflames it though. I might try it next time.

DH has got naproxen, so I nicked his on Friday night. Got me in the knee now. Horrible, horrible pain on Friday night, fine to walk on yesterday, just going from sitting to standing or the other way round.

This morning I was in excruciating pain from about 5.30am for a couple of hours and now, it's completely fine. No pain what so ever.

I think I'm starting to get used to the signs though. My should started feeling like I'd pulled a muscle and little while ago, so I took action with pills and cream. It hasn't got any worse, so that's good. A few weeks ago, I'd have miss those signs and been in agony by now.

I got another hospital appointment on Wednesday, so I've got lots of questions and hopefully I'll get the medication I need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now