Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid results - I'm lost!

(4 Posts)
Lonelynessie Wed 29-Nov-17 17:46:16

Hi,

I had a test done today and I'm just wanting some clarity on my results (if possible?)

They read:

'Thyroid Stimulating Hormone 0.37'
'Free Thyroxine 14.8'

Does anyone know what this means - is it a normal reading at all?

The drs receptionist said they are normal but I just feel so so so awful and I'm desperate for some help. I've had 2 other tests (over the past 10 years or so) and they said I was 'borderline' then.

I'm not sure what's happening with me but I do know that I started to feel funny after I had my first daughter 11 years ago, and then after my second 7 years ago, things have been getting steadily worse. I feel so awfully drained every day, it's like I'm wading through fog. I've put on a lot of weight despite proper dieting and daily exercise (weight training and cardio classes) and it's nigh on impossible to shift it. My hair is thinning, nails brittle, I'm always cold (even in the summer I wear a cardigan). I also suffer from quite heavy periods which I'm sure doesn't help.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just so fed up with it all. I've tried several of my gp's and a private dr and I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Thanks for reading smile

Lonelynessie Wed 29-Nov-17 17:54:45

Also - my mum is on lifelong medication for her thyroid.

thegirlupnorth Wed 29-Nov-17 18:13:18

It sounds to me like you have an under active thyroid. Go back and ask for a full blood screen and for your TSH and T4 function checking (or it's called something like that). I had to fight to go on medication (once you're on it you get free prescriptions)!

I also argued that despite being in the (normal) range how did they know what my normal was. For example I have low blood pressure which is my normal but isn't classed as normal if you see what I mean.

Ask for a second opinion. Good luck.

timeistight Thu 30-Nov-17 13:33:40

Do you have the reference ranges for those results? It's far easier to interpret them if you do.

Have you had iron, vitamin B12, folate and vitamin D checked?

Did you have heavy blood loss after the birth of your child?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now