Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Psoriatic arthritis

(6 Posts)
macaronip1e Mon 27-Nov-17 19:53:04

Feeling a bit sorry for myself as, after burying my head in the sand for a long time over various minor symptoms, I’ve been diagnosed with PsA. On X-ray, I have joint damage in my fingers - with a couple that don’t bend really at all (what finally prompted me to seek help!) - and just feel so stupid for not seeing Dr sooner. Bit of a pity post, really, but if anyone has any experience of PsA I’d be interested to know to what extent treatment has slowed or halted joint damage. Thanks.

cherrycola2004 Fri 01-Dec-17 16:15:42

My mum has this, had it about 18 months now she is on Humira injections once a week which help. Also cut out inflammatory foods in her diet.

Catsaredickheads Sat 03-Feb-18 00:26:57

I’ve got it. I’m on methotrexate which seems to be helping control the flares (only had one since March and less severe than pre medication) the thing that helped most for me was the steroid injection from the rheumatologist. For a few weeks I was on minimal or no additional pain relief. Unfortunately it’s worn off and I’m back to being stiff and sore much of the time.

I was terrified about starting the methotrexate because of the listed side effects but I’m so glad I went for it

booqueue Sat 03-Feb-18 07:10:35

Glad it's working for you seems to be for my mum too. Have you tried giving up nightshakes like potatoes etc? It's meant to help

macaronip1e Mon 05-Feb-18 08:04:22

So, I’m a few months on from my initial rheumatologist appointment. I’ve started methotrexate, and other than tiredness, I’ve had no side effects. The frequent blood tests are a drag, but hopefully less frequent after the next few weeks. Have a surgical consult in a couple of weeks to look at a couple of joints in my hands. Actually now I kind of forget about it as day to day it doesn’t bother me - lucky I know!

sashh Mon 05-Feb-18 08:09:31

I struggled with methotrexate and reacted to sulfasalozine.

Steroid injections are fabulous, and my GP does them so I don't need to go to the hospital.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: