Talk

Advanced search

Afternoon fatigue with hypothyroid

(14 Posts)
StewardsEnquiry Fri 20-Oct-17 14:59:09

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I can adjust my medication to help with tiredness in the afternoon?

I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid problems about 2 years ago. I have my TFTs checked every 6 months minimum and my TSH is well suppressed. I've also had my T3 checked and that was fine so I don't seem to have any problems with converting.

In a morning I feel pretty okay but late afternoon and evenings are a write off.

Has anyone had this and have any tips on what to do to improve it?

StewardsEnquiry Fri 20-Oct-17 19:13:21

Bump

StewardsEnquiry Sat 21-Oct-17 12:36:48

Bump

ButterfliesandMoths Sat 21-Oct-17 22:03:09

Sorry I have no answers for you but wanted to pop by and reassure you that you’re not alone, and bump for evening traffic, hopefully someone will come along with some helpful advice 😊

StewardsEnquiry Sun 22-Oct-17 08:44:18

Thanks very much. I appreciate the support!

MyAngels Sun 22-Oct-17 10:04:41

Hi

I have no advice, I'm afraid, but have hypothyroidism feel exactly the same as you - by 4pm I can barely function.
To be honest, I'm not totally sure my levo is at the right level, but GP is saying "its in the normal range" (it was 3.15 in July) and are reluctant to test again (until I crawl into the surgery on my hands and knees, I reckon).

I'm sorry I'm no help - but you have my sympathies and I hope someone can suggest something helpful.

Blerg Sun 22-Oct-17 10:11:34

Unconventional but I have loads more energy if I avoid gluten entirely. And sugar, but still fighting that battle.

I think my sister used to take her medication in the evening to address energy but I’ve always thought that’s not really how it works. Might be worth a try.

You can ask for a medication review in some pharmacies- they might cover it.

roloisking Sun 22-Oct-17 10:18:31

I have also gone gluten free and my energy levels seem better,

I think you need to check your thyroid levels are optimal (around 1 not just in range) and you have good level of vitamin D and B12

cupofchai Sun 22-Oct-17 10:21:24

Have a look at the Health Unlocked Thyroid Forum it has great advice.

You need to ensure the following are at the high end:

Ferritin
vit d3
B12
Folate

Also I’ve recently learned you need to check your anti bodies too.

Register on that forum and post your full results you’ll get amazing advice .

frillysocks88 Mon 23-Oct-17 00:02:55

I’m the in the same boat unfortunately. Just had my levels checked last month and all normal. Before medication I felt like I could collapse at any time from tiredness. Whilst the 24/7 tiredness has subsided I still feel wrecked in the afternoon especially after eating. ☹️ also looking into a diet my friend recommended for underactive thryoid since doc can’t change the meds. X

timeistight Mon 23-Oct-17 13:32:06

On medication, you'd be looking to have TSH around 1, or lower, with FT4 in the top 25% of the reference range and FT3 at least half way.

PP with TSH over 3 is clearly under-medicated.

Lunenburg Mon 23-Oct-17 13:42:36

Agree re the positive impact of going sugar and gluten free.

I also needed to take a Vit D supplement but that was only picked up after I saw a Consultant because of my low energy levels.

The other thing that actually helps me is to get out for a walk late afternoon. Sounds crazy I know, but it boosts my energy levels and gets me through the evening.

MyAngels Tue 24-Oct-17 09:32:49

I agree too about feeling better if I don't eat gluten and sugar, so there are a few of us who think this, it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the pointer on being under-medicated - I suspect I am, but cannot get any medical professional to agree to test again. Am going to give my new gym membership some time to work (or not!) -if I have the energy to go -and then I'm back at the GP and not taking any s***!

Cneasta Mon 06-Nov-17 20:30:26

Yes I had this problem with afternoon fatigue and I've hashimotos or hypothyroid. I cut out gluten 2 months ago and it seems to have gone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: