Talk

Advanced search

Thyroid surgery

(2 Posts)
Reallytired3 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:21:00

I have Hasimotos and a multinodular goiter which is causing some issues, I went to see the ENT consultant on Thursday and he has agreed to a partial thyroidectomy and I left the clinic after being put on the waiting list for surgery.

Today I received a call giving me a date for surgery in three weeks when I said I couldn't make this for various reasons, childcare being my biggest issue, I was told that I would have to go make to my gp to be referred back to ENT and that I didn't have a choice in a surgery date but just had to be ready to accept a date when ever they rang.

I thought that I would be on the waiting list until at least after Christmas and they didn't mention in clinic that you would have to drop everything and you had no say in the date of surgery.

I feel very frustrated now and the lady on the phone made me feel like I was being unreasonable not accepting that date.

I not sure if I should complain or if this is normal practice?

hevonbu Thu 16-Nov-17 19:19:50

Very annoying, but maybe you could think of some solution where you could both solve childcare and have the operation? You're not unreasonable, but things are as they are. It's because your negotiating position isn't so high in combination with long lists of people needing surgery, I think. Maybe you should call back and say you're happy to accept the appointment (even if you'll have to bite your tongue when saying it) just so you don't miss the opportunity? That's my two cents anyway...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: