Talk

Advanced search

Fasting to help your autoimmune condition

(13 Posts)
MollyHuaCha Thu 08-Jun-17 20:03:31

I know there are a few fasting threads already on MN, but they seem focussed on weight loss.

For the last week I've been trying a 16:8 approach to hopefully help Crohn's symptoms. I fast for 16 hours each day (I have lots of water and herbal tea). This leaves 8 hours for two meals.

The theory is that Crohn's is fueled by a certain kind of gut bacteria. When you fast, you deprive these rogue bacteria of their food, therefore they cannot thrive as abundantly. I'm not recommending this for anyone else by the way! Can't have that responsibility...

I think it's helping me - not a huge amount, but moderately and the amount of times I get woken up in the night by abdominal pain is definitely decreasing smilesmilesmile.

If you have any thoughts on this topic, please add to the thread!

SouthChinaMorningPost Thu 08-Jun-17 20:09:06

Hello! I fasted for 6 weeks and cleared my psoriasis! I drank 2 litres apple, 2 carrot and 2 beetroot daily. One meal of fish brown rice and broccoli....it worked!

Also try taking heavy duty probiotics, I took 2 daily as well.

My p is back now and I'm facing another fast when I get home from hols.

If you're looking for info, try Josh Axe (gut), dr pagans ( he does psoriasis but I believe it's all related)

SouthChinaMorningPost Thu 08-Jun-17 20:10:08

You need prebiotic as well to feed the bacteria, so ferment your own sauerkraut etc

MollyHuaCha Thu 08-Jun-17 20:40:38

Hi South, yes definitely all related. I've just searched Josh Axe and the book I found was called Eat Dirt. Is that the one you meant?

SouthChinaMorningPost Thu 08-Jun-17 20:56:42

Yeah, it's amazing! He's so handsome ... swooon

What sort of help do you get (from go) with chrons? Is it all dietary?

MollyHuaCha Thu 08-Jun-17 21:05:40

Sorry, from go? <feeling a bit dozy...>

gobbin Fri 09-Jun-17 17:16:05

What sort of help do you get (from go) with chrons? Is it all dietary

No, heavy duty meds from consultant in my case, otherwise I relapse into constant runny poo, fistulas and abcesses.

Every Crohns patient will have different things that they can/can't eat though e.g. out for me are steak (too tough to digest) and bananas (give me blockages). Got to be carefully with gassy veg and other high fibre foods (no wholmeal bread). Others will have different triggers.

gobbin Fri 09-Jun-17 17:19:21

Molly if you think your fasting is helping, keep doing it. Anything that helps is worthwhile. I need to stay high-carb which is a bummer for the weight gain, but low carb sees me shitting through the eye of a needle!

MollyHuaCha Fri 09-Jun-17 19:19:50

Thanks Gobbin. Today was my ninth day of 16:8 fasting and I felt the best I've felt for ages. So I shall continue for a while more. How are you by the way? Hope your Crohn's is under control.

South, I realize now that 'go' is autocorrected 'GP'! Sorry, was feeling a bit thick there. Actually, I've never met a doctor who has been very interested in the dietary control of Crohn's. They view it as a bit fringe and seem to prefer medicines and surgery.

SouthChinaMorningPost Fri 09-Jun-17 19:41:51

Hi Molly, sorry, yes, it was GP! ive been travelling all day and read a book about gut health by Michael moseley....going to give that a go, my skin is a mess right now.

have you ever tried probiotics btw?

Purdyandwheezy Fri 09-Jun-17 20:07:35

Have any of you taken turmeric for crohns? I'm tempted by one that keeps popping up on my Facebook but it's £19!!

HunkyDory69 Fri 09-Jun-17 20:21:43

FWIW I think that when Michael mosley looked at Turmeric on his programme, the result was that dietary Turmeric was much better taken up & more effective if dietary ie add it to as much as possible of what you eat. It vanishes in most sauces! More effective than supplements & massively cheaper 😀

SouthChinaMorningPost Sat 10-Jun-17 12:15:40

just put turmeric on everything, plus a diet high in black pepper, shallots, onions, cruciferous veg are apparently great for bowel health. Also, I always thought tht red wine was a myth but apparently it helps to repopulate bowel bacteria!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »