Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hashimoto's and Sjogren's - what now?

(4 Posts)
MyAngels Thu 01-Jun-17 16:05:44

OK, so I'm back from the rheumatologist with a diagnosis of Sjogren's and GP blood tests confirm Hashimoto's too.

Because I'm still getting my Thyroxine level sorted out (started on 50, now on 75 - only diagnosed with hypothyroid in April, might need to go up further), I've not been given anything except eye drops for the Sjogren's, but am have a medication review next Wednesday.

What do I need to ask? I have read that Coeliac/gluten may also be an issue with these two conditions - I don't have any massive gastric symptoms, but might going gluten free help my other symptoms (fatigue, joint pain)?

The leaflet the doctor gave me on Hydroxychloroquine seems to suggest it might give you eye trouble (I have iffy retinas...) so have made an optician appointment as the doctor suggested anyway. Does anyone have any experience of eye trouble with this medication?

Sorry for all the questions - its all a bit new!

Thanks

redannie118 Mon 05-Jun-17 20:26:24

Hi i have sjogrens along with scleroderma. The eye issues are plates of plaque that can form on the eye with long term use of this drug. You must make your optician aware of it and they shoud do a full ete exam at least once a year.As for the dryness make sure you use a preservative and enzyme free eyedrops (the ones on prescription are better than over the counter ones)lacrilube is a thick jelly you put on your eyelids at night and can really help. Also if you can afford it a humidifier is great esp if you have central heating on

JoJoSM2 Mon 05-Jun-17 23:19:33

I think an anti-inflammatory diet might help.

RubyRoseRing Mon 03-Jul-17 15:13:36

I have dry eyes too though it's never been formally diagnosed as Sjogren's. I think it's probably secondary Sjogren's l have as l have numerous other Al conditions. Anyway, l now use Xailin night gel or VitAPos eye gel at night ( with copious amounts of Viscotears in daytime). Last year Lacrilube was unavailable for several months and l tried the other two then. I find them much better than Lacrilube.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now