Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid nodule, possible Hashimotos

(4 Posts)
Bobcat15 Tue 16-May-17 21:17:55

Another Hashimoto's thread, I'm afraid!

I have a pretty large thyroid nodule which was first discovered just before my first pregnancy. I had an ultrasound and FNA which was inconclusive but my endocrinologist didn't think the nodule had any suspicious features. I also get flare ups of thyroiditis when I have colds and at other random times / this involves a large goitre that feels tender. TSH levels are in 'normal' range now and always have been. They don't test for antibodies as routine.

Since puberty I've suffered with regular heart palpitations (all cardiac investigations have eliminated anything serious), regular attacks of crippling indigestion which usual indigestion remedies can't touch (again, digestive investigations found nothing but grumbling appendix was suspected once), mouth ulcers, fatigue, itchy dry skin and often being unable to clear mucus at the back of my throat which can cause horrendous coughing fits usually at times of stress (e.g. Exams, presentations etc). Anyway, I've had some horrible cold viruses recently which have been accompanied by my usual bouts of thyroiditis but this time my goitre or nodule has been pressing on my vocal cords and I've been losing my voice. This prompted a trip to the GP who organised more tests (endo signed me off a few years ago due to blood work being ok) and I've been referred direct for surgery for partial thyroidectomy on nodule affected side.

However, I had a lightbulb moment last night whilst watching a bbc doc on a woman with cluster headaches which was triggered by an auto immune condition. She said her symptoms were completely resolved during pregnancy and the dr said that's because the body can halt auto immune attacks in pregnancy so as not to reject the baby. This happened to me, all issues I was plagued with since adolescence disappeared during both my pregnancies, it was wonderful. I am really starting to think all my previous problems have been
Auto immune and I may actually have Hashimoto's. I'm now desperate to try anything to identify a trigger and reverse some of my symptoms before going under the knife as I'm presuming surgery won't resolve an auto immune problem? I will start by eliminating gluten but does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do or has worked for them?

Okite Wed 17-May-17 18:51:47

I have experienced the same thing, I have a form of rheumatism called palindromic rheumatism and during all of my pregnancies the symptoms abated completely.
I also suspect I have hashimotos and I paid for a private blood test so that I could get my antibodies level checked - sure enough they were above range. I took the results to my GP and, while he was sceptical about the blood test hmm he has referred me to an endo, which is all I wanted really. I think the antibodies tests are really specific to hashimotos so it's unlikely to be anything else causing it. I'd recommend giving the private blood tests a try if you can, mine cost £70 from thriva.

Bobcat15 Wed 17-May-17 19:34:56

Thanks so much for your reply. I was under an Endo a few years ago but don't think he ever requested antibodies tests. Funnily enough I was looking at Thriva today, I think I'll just go ahead and get tested privately. I'm so convinced its autoimmune now, I'm determined to do something about it. Hope you start to have success with your treatment.

Okite Wed 17-May-17 19:41:51

Thanks, my endo appointment is next week so fingers crossed. I feel absolutely dreadful at the moment so it can only get better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now