Talk

Advanced search

How do you screen from Au Pair World??

(7 Posts)
chandellina Wed 03-Jul-19 18:15:07

I have read other threads here, really I have, but still don't really get how to screen applicants who all seem so similar - young, inexperienced, not great English. I have no problem with that but have no idea how to find the elusive "right fit."
Thanks for any tips on how you narrowed down your search. (not that I expect to be overwhelmed by applicants in Brexit Britain.)

OP’s posts: |
underneaththeash Wed 03-Jul-19 19:04:07

I delete if they:
Don't mention that they like children in their post
Mention a boyfriend in their profile
Haven't lived away from home before (if they don't mention it in their profile I ask that over messages).
Are vegan/vegetarian or have multiple food allergies.
Smoke
Are very obese.

Different things will be important to you though...
for example,
we need a driver, so they need to be over 22 with 3 years previous driving experience to be affordably insurable.
I prefer people with no professional childcare experience as I prefer to get them to do things my way.

roses2 Thu 04-Jul-19 15:05:58

With my au pairs, I've always had a feeling "they are the one". If there is something not quite right I would move on.

I don't exclude those who haven't lived away from home before however I have always gone for au pairs in their mid 20's so haven't had an issue with being homesick or unwilling to help with day to day chores.

I avoid:
- vegans; other special dietary requests (eg one who only ate salmon every day)
- those who have their mums on the call translating for them (I had 2 of those last year!)
- smokers
- Au pairs who take 2-3 days to respond to messages
- I ask about any specific holidays they need to return home for

I used to send a list of questions before shortlisting for a call but that doesn't seem to work anymore - there seem to be more families looking than au pairs available so au pairs don't seem to bother replying to me if I send a long list of questions. Now I send a short paragraph highlighting the working hours and pocket money then run through my questions on a call.

chandellina Thu 04-Jul-19 22:44:30

Thanks a lot. And what do you even talk about on the call? I'm having aimless messaging conversations that are probably all being run through google translate!

roses2 Fri 05-Jul-19 12:21:22

I've got a list of questions which I run through:

1. How long do you want to stay and when would you like to start?
2. How often do you wish to travel home? Are there any important dates you need to go back home for?
3. Do you have any friends or family in London?
4. What experience do you have of dealing with young children by yourself and what ages were they? Do you have experience of handling energetic boys?
5. Can you provide references for your childcare experience?
6. Are you comfortable with the responsibilities and hours we require you to work? In particular sole care of two young boys, early morning starts and the walking required to take them to school + nursery?
7. Is there anything important we need to know about you eg do you have any allergies or dietary requirements we need to be aware of?
8. How often do you get sick? How do you cope when you are not very well?
9. What do you currently do with your time? How do you pass your day?
10. Have you ever lived alone or away from your family where you are responsible for your own well being such as grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning and laundry? If not what experience do you have of these activities?
11. What nationality are you? Do you hold an EU identity card or do you require a visa to come to London?
12. Do you smoke?
13. What do you wish to do if you come to London when the children are at school?
14. What did you study? Did you go to university? What do you want to do in future years?
15. Do you have any questions for us?

roses2 Fri 05-Jul-19 12:22:57

In advance of the call I will summarise the hours; the pay and the responsibilities.

chandellina Fri 05-Jul-19 12:54:56

thanks!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in