Talk

Advanced search

DH away with work for 6 months. Considering au pair

(3 Posts)
Shakeyitoff Thu 15-Feb-18 00:20:51

Hi,

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression a few months ago and whilst on a more even keel now DH is potentially going to be called up for 6 months work away. I’m beginning to panic as we have no family support and the weekends he’s already away are tricky. It’s getting easier as the children are now 4&6 but I’m wondering about having an au pair while he’s away as an extra pair of hands and to help keep my sanity and allow me to leave the house if I need to in the evenings and have a bit of me time.

Does this sound like a reasonable length of time? We live in a small town with rail links to large cities within an hour. I’d like them to do pick up drops offs from school while I’m at work and help with some house work and meal prep. Just wondering what the rate of pay would likely be. We have a large spare bedroom, would have a spare car while DH is away and contemplating giving them our room with ensuite to maintain their and our family privacy.

underneaththeash Thu 15-Feb-18 18:48:22

Sounds fine, one if the reasons we have one is the security of knowing that there's another adult around when DH is away. I think giving the au pair your bedroom with a suite is a good idea. I'd suggest offering £100/week.

You need someone over 22 with 4 years driving experience to be able to ensure cheaper car insurance and I'd recommend going with Admiral multi-car.

surlycurly Fri 16-Feb-18 13:29:40

I think it's a great idea for you in your circumstances. Six months is very reasonable too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now