Talk

Advanced search

Au pair pocket money

(31 Posts)
fucksakefay Thu 02-Nov-17 07:34:09

Can anyone help with how much I should pay for this au pair job. I have read varying amounts online and would like to hear from people who have recruited au pairs recently.

We're in the south east, ten minutes walk from town centre with shops restaurants train station language school theatre cinema. Trains are 30 mins to central London

My OH works shifts so the hours vary but on average 18 hours of before and after school. I would provide a 5 week rota in accordance with his shift pattern but it's usually 3-4 days a week of take to school and pick up, some days OH is home at 4.30 pm sometimes it's 7pm and I work 3 days a week and one day at home. So I don't think the hours are much but I'd like to ask them to make it up to 25 hours without extra pay by babysitting or if I stay late at work but I don't expect we will use all those hours at all.

I'm not sure if I should pay for language school and or gym as standard. What about a phone or do most EU phones work ok here now? I am happy to buy a SIM card if needed and put some money on it.

We have three primary aged kids 10, 7 and 4. All good kids.
AP would have their own bedroom and priority use of a downstairs bathroom - lwe'd mainly use bathroom upstairs as a family (AP can't have sole use as we might need the occasional visitor or child downstairs wee and it's also where the washing machine and dryer are!)

I've advertised and got lots of replies to start in January. But I need to hammer out the contract details

This is our first au pair and any other tips from seasoned au pair host families would be much appreciated. I'm open to a make or female AP and have had lots of replies from seemingly nice young men,

fucksakefay Thu 02-Nov-17 07:35:00

*male or female obviously

Cactusjelly00 Thu 02-Nov-17 07:44:46

Based on 25hrs (rounding up a little to cover periods where you do need a little more. It should average out) id pay approximately £90 a week (if you're providing food) and buy either 1-2 language lessons (per month) or buy something like a Rosetta Stone DVD set if they'd prefer to teach themselves.

Buying a cheap phone and sim card would be a nice gesture as a welcome gift, but I wouldn't pay for it each month, just the initial set up.
A new phone/sim (or new sim and having the original unlocked).

Ps if you're not providing food i would offer a food allowance suitable for a single person (£25 per week ish I think).

fucksakefay Thu 02-Nov-17 09:04:58

Thanks that's really helpful.

Caulk Thu 02-Nov-17 09:08:25

I’d say £90-£100, some kind of travel card and language lessons.

I wouldn’t do the phone unless their sim didn’t work, and I would offer gym/sports club/college art class depending on how they would like to meet people.

scurryfunge Thu 02-Nov-17 09:17:50

We had four au pairs for when DS was aged 5 to 11. Two females and two males. I paid for language classes and the gym. Those over 21 had the use of dh's car in the evenings and weekends. My last au pair also did Avon to supplement her income. The original agency I used did Police checks in their own country also.

fucksakefay Thu 02-Nov-17 09:42:35

Would buying a young persons railcard so they get 1/3 off trains be enough?
Or should I offer eg the price of one ticket to London a week or an Oyster card for the tube so they just need to get the main fare into London?
I think it's about £13 return with a railcard .

scurryfunge Thu 02-Nov-17 09:48:53

Rail card is a good idea. I'd pay for one ticket a week and they can sort their own Oyster card if need be.

Oly5 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:51:42

I am in the south east and have an au pair doing 25 hours a week. We pay £90 per week plus £10 per month for her phone contract. No other extras.
She’s happy with that, most of her friends are on £80pw which I think is too low.

LEMtheoriginal Thu 02-Nov-17 09:55:07

So you want someone to look after your children and you want to give them pocket money? hmm you also want them to do extra hours unpaid babysitting? Is this a reverse?

Dozer Thu 02-Nov-17 09:57:02

It’s not “pocket money” it’s pay.

fucksakefay Thu 02-Nov-17 09:57:09

Ok so about
£90 pw
Young person Railcard
1x train ticket to London or another place a week if they want
Language school - any idea on cost?
If i add gym in too it's a bit pricy - is it reasonable without gym?

Some weeks it's only 10 hours (and I'm including the time to walk to and from school in this hours even if not with children e.g. If have to leave house at 2,45 to pick up at 3.15)
The higher hour weeks are 21 and we might make up to 25 on those weeks but I imagine we'll never make up to 25 on the 10 Hr weeks.

However I also see it has to be a viable job for the AP. I'd suggest she or he babysit for my friends to add to money if they want.

ElizabethShaw Thu 02-Nov-17 10:01:46

I paid £80, think that was what was recommended by the government. Provided a phone sim but didn't pay for gym/travel. Offered language class at local college but she didn't want to go.

fucksakefay Thu 02-Nov-17 10:02:43

All the au pair websites refer to pocket money
This is the standard term for APs
But yes it's money in return for looking after kids so pay.
The idea is though we give board and lodging and treat as member of family like a big sister and support them to experience the culture and learn English which we will fully do.
I am posting on here to ensure I don't under pay them.
What I've googled seems to say 25 hours plus 2 nights babysitting for £75-£100 a week the norm.

Obviously all food is included
I don't want them to cook or clean as some people advertising do, except clean up after themselves and work with us as a family doing normal household tasks to keep the house ok
Comments from people who haven't had au pairs or do not know the terminology are not helpful thanks.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 02-Nov-17 10:07:08

It's called an au pair, LEM. hmm

I'd include language lessons (they may be free at a local college), ticket to London once a fortnight if wanted, Oyster card and phone with giffgaff, and they would have to top up themselves if they went over the £10 limit. I'd also pay £100 per week, which is what I was paying in 2006 - slightly depressing to see that the going rate hasn't changed since then. I also paid for their flight to us (after completing 3 months with us), which was a nice surprise for the au pair. I also paid for a journey home at Christmas. I also gave one au pair three weeks paid leave, and for her ticket to go and see her sister in Canada. But she was exceptional, with us for two years, and very much part of the family.

fucksakefay Thu 02-Nov-17 10:07:16

LEM the deal is up to 25 hours
I'm not asking for extra babysitting on top just to make up to 25 hours with babysitting on the weeks they work less than that. The average is 18 hrs a week and I think it will be rare I ask them to make it up to 25 as we simply don't go out that much! I'm actually trying to pay the standard for 25 hrs incl board and lodging

fucksakefay Thu 02-Nov-17 10:09:05

What's the general deal with paid holiday? I'd like to offer some in line with employee rates but that doesn't seem to be the norm?

Caulk Thu 02-Nov-17 10:19:35

I worked as an au pair ten years ago (also getting around £100!) and has paid holiday.

Check if they have a UK bank and if you’ll be paying cash or bank transfer.

Cactusjelly00 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:38:31

I think some holiday is certainly the norm, albeit not legally required.
I'd offer 2-4 weeks per year. I probably wouldn't pay her normal allowance (as I wouldn't want to offer anything eg paid holiday that could turn it into employment rather than her being an au pair) but would pay the air fare each way and perhaps a small cash gift in a card to go towards travel expenses. That being said it depends on the specifics eg, I wouldn't pay the 1.5k for a return flight to/from Australia but I'd happily pay a couple hundred for them to holiday in their home country if it was eg France and put £75 in a thank you card for them IYKWIM?

ElizabethShaw Thu 02-Nov-17 10:56:32

I carried on paying pocket money as usual when au pair went away - it was maybe 3-4 weeks in total? Plus she came on holiday with us.

ElizabethShaw Thu 02-Nov-17 10:58:07

I was an au pair 10 years ago and got 60 euros a week - I don't think I've ever had so much disposable income since grin

OVienna Thu 02-Nov-17 18:49:31

We pay £110 pw fir similar hours but usually at the lower end. Plus she walks the dog. I don’t pay fir language classes. I would contribute to them if she really wanted to go but as s bonus after she’d settled and also I was confident she was attending and working towards the exam. The agency we used years ago (now do AP World) advises this was sensible so you’re not out of pocket to the tune of several hundred pounds if they leave after two weeks or never attend. That said, if they are paying themselves you mustn’t ask them to miss to look after the kids etc. We always made sure we didn’t do that. The classes have gotten much more expensive in recent years and also are no longer geared to the AP community. Our more recent au pairs haven’t found it useful fir meeting people and learned English in other ways.

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Thu 02-Nov-17 21:04:47

Timely thread. I was told yesterday on here that what we pay our au pair is too low, we pay £100 a week for an average of 25 hours plus babysitting. We are in London. I might consider raising to £110 if that’s the market rate. I paid parts of her travel costs to come here but other than that no further extras.
I did get her a giff gaff sim but she preferred getting a new phone contract. We paid gym membership for our previous au pair but his pay was at £90. He worked fewer hours though. Neither au pair have complained about their pay. I would probably consider paying significantly more if they had more experience. Our current au pair had pretty much no experience with childcare and is straight out of school.
I would be interested in hearing of more examples from London. I wouldn’t want our au pair to feel underpaid compared to other au pairs. I heard from a family local to us that when their au pair left to live with her boyfriend she realised that she no longer has so much money or free time as when she was an au pair.

OVienna Thu 02-Nov-17 21:19:59

I don’t know anyone in London who has paid for gym usage. Not saying it doesn’t happen but not hit our radar. Rates anywhere between 70 to 120.

It’s definitely not a cheap nanny, having experience of both routes. There is no way you can compare the experience levels. Essentially our kids have a cheerful adult to come home to who gets to explore London during the day.

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Thu 02-Nov-17 21:38:41

Ovienna we paid for gym membership for our previous au pair because he took DS swimming about 3 times a week and used his membership for that. Besides he was super sporty so made use of the gym a lot. He was amazing, taught our autistic son how to swim!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now