Advanced search

Au pair bank account

(22 Posts)
JugglingChaotically Fri 25-Aug-17 11:17:59

For the first time our au pair has found it impossible to open a bank account.

We haven't had this problem before.

She is from Europe. Took in her ID card, a letter from the agency that placed her with us , a letter from me as her host mother confirming she lives at our address, and a copy of the au pair agreement with our address, her European address (matching the ID card) and our names.

Lloyds were very unhelpful. Said that what she has was not enough but couldn't or wouldn't say what would be enough - other than a bank statement or utility bill at our address with our au pairs name.

Has anyone had any success? Can anyone recommend a bank? What documents worked?

Ttbb Fri 25-Aug-17 11:31:16

Try a different bank.

JugglingChaotically Fri 25-Aug-17 11:43:31

Thanks. That is what she will do - just hoping to get some guidance on any that others have had success with rather than work our way through all of them randomly!

INeedToEat Fri 25-Aug-17 12:23:22

My adult niece lives with me (dual passports). Recently got her a bank account with Natwest they insisted on a letter in her name at my address. They accepted her NI number original letter.

JugglingChaotically Fri 25-Aug-17 12:32:39

Thanks for that.
She wants to do a high level English course while here so wasn't planning to work but if necessary she can get an NI number so good to know that works.

JugglingChaotically Fri 25-Aug-17 12:59:12

Has anyone else had success with this recently?

INeedToEat Fri 25-Aug-17 13:50:23

Me again 😁
Just wanted to say that it was all such a pain. Neice (20) wasn't born nor had ever lived in this country before but does have a British passport.

We tried a few high street banks who all pretty much wanted an official letter in her name at my address. She's come over to live but wasn't working or studying so that ruled that out.
The NI number was painless and pretty quick to get.

It look me months go get her a GP !!

Lulublu Fri 25-Aug-17 13:59:05

We've had no success - we're told by Barclays, lloyds and natwest that our au pair would need to be on our utility bills as their criteria had recently become much stricter. (Well, first lloyds told me she would have to take a U.K. Driving test to get a licence as they would only accept that - but when I queried this and asked whether a utility bill would work they said yes...!). Would be interested in hearing if you have any luck. I think we're going to have to go down the utility bill route.

JugglingChaotically Fri 25-Aug-17 14:16:31

Will keep you posted lulu!
I need to eat - how long did the NI number take?

JugglingChaotically Fri 25-Aug-17 14:18:19

She's earning below the tax threshold so doesn't need one really but it's getting desperate!
I looked at a prepaid card we could load up but they charge set up fees, monthly fees and even for ATM withdrawals. 😳

fucksakefay Fri 25-Aug-17 14:22:35

Would it be out of the question to put a utility bill in her name to get the bank account sorted? Something small and paid for in advance like tv licence?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 25-Aug-17 14:27:32

Any help?

INeedToEat Fri 25-Aug-17 15:06:01

Off the top of my head I think it took 2 weeks in total. She had to attend the job centre for a quick interview and then it was sent out to her (the letter the bank wanted was the one sent via email - we just printed if off).
Tbh I know very little about NI numbers for non British people and I'm not sure if it was so easy because she holds a British passport.

JugglingChaotically Sat 26-Aug-17 11:14:55

Thanks all.
Moneywebsite ID is same as Lloyds but thanks.
Will keep NI in reserve.
Not keen re utility bill as she's not paying them.
HSBC looks hopeful so appt there week after next (first one!)
Looked again at prepaid cards but the charges are too high.
Will post if we find any solutions
If anyone had more ideas I'd appreciate it!

Pigsinablanket Sat 26-Aug-17 21:52:25

Hi Juggling, We ve had the same problem .Have you looked at the Osper prepaid card? £2.50 per month or £24 per year and loading the card is free.

Polichinelle Sun 27-Aug-17 09:37:26

Getting a NI number, of she has a EU passport, should be easy. I have employed lots of EU citizens over the years and it's just a question of making an appointment and filing up the forms

roses2 Fri 01-Sep-17 13:40:01

Mine eventually managed to open an account with HSBC although it took a few weeks of back and forth to the branch. They asked for a copy of my council tax bill and a letter from me.

nottoallyenjoyingit Wed 13-Sep-17 19:43:20

Halifax only need the au pairs European passport. My last two au pairs have managed to get bank accounts this way. Good luck!

Cornwall73 Tue 26-Sep-17 11:02:49

Opening an account not has been painful! Our au pair joined us a couple of months ago and, since our first au pair, the banking rules have changed and she has been round the houses to open a bank account.

She has finally done it (HSBC) but now they are asking her for a tax code from the country where she will be paying tax in. She has explained (umpteen times and also handed in a letter from me) that she is not an employee in this country and hence does not pay tax. Also, that in Poland she was a student and hence didn’t pay tax. She did a few small jobs on the side but all under the threshold and so not given a tax code in Poland.

Has anyone had similar issues? She is getting letters from the bank asking for tax codes that we don’t have and we don’t know what to do next.

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Tue 26-Sep-17 21:41:33

Ours just opened one with Lloyds and all she needed was her passport, a letter from us and proof of address. We had to put her on a utility bill though. No tax code needed.

RavingRoo Tue 26-Sep-17 21:47:08

Hsbc will probably do it based on agency letter and her ID card.

Cmekrru Thu 05-Oct-17 12:53:36

We have had the same issue and had to go the route of getting a NI number. Does anyone know whether Aupair a "pocket money" counts as earnings in terms of using up tax allowance. Currently Aupair earning under NI and tax threshold but if she were to get another job this would put her over the tax threshold. Should I be producing pay slips even if she isn't actually technically working?! It's all too confusing but trying to future proof and save any problems in the future or any tax liability.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: