Talk

Advanced search

Food Question

(24 Posts)
user1492232552 Sat 22-Apr-17 01:23:11

This is on behalf of somebody else so apologies if I can't answer.
Twice this has happened where the family has left no food in the house. Tins and packets and meat in the freezer but no potato's or fresh veg or milk or bread that sort of thing. Basically a meal can't really be put together.
Au pair had to use own money to buy snacks in the school holidays to keep young boys going, money was refunded by mum had a face like thunder, surely that's normal kids eat you out of house and home in the holidays ?
As it's happened with two families it just seems bloody strange, is this how other people live ?

wren23091 Sat 22-Apr-17 06:06:25

I have to do pretty much the same. During the Easter holidays (last two weeks) I ended up spending about €20 a week (currently au pairing in france) because the mum never gets around to doing a weekly shop (plans to do it each weekend but there's always some issue with the husband not being there to mind the kids while she shops, so it doesn't get done)
Long story short, for me it's not normal to not keep staples like bread and milk in the house, especially for families with kids, i don't get it either!!

SouthPole Sat 22-Apr-17 17:20:57

Speaking as the mother, it's strange.

We have weekly deliveries as husband and I are so busy.

If AP has to buy food when out with the kids or top up milk/bread I just ensure he knows to come to me with what I owe him.

No face like thunder here - just thanks for helping to keep us afloat!

Cazz81 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:31:09

I give her a petty cash specifically for this reason (we always run out of food at home) and she uses it where and when needed.

Trifleorbust Tue 25-Apr-17 05:50:27

That is weird. She should not be paying to feed the children.

She should ask what she is meant to cook that day. Show them up a bit.

highinthesky Tue 25-Apr-17 05:56:08

I can understand wanting to budget, but the simple truth is you can't afford an au pair if you can't afford to feed one.

user1492232552 Tue 25-Apr-17 06:22:54

I'm absolutely livid now. Their dog escaped this morning and knocked me flying ripping my brand new jeans and cutting my knee, didn't even ask if I was ok. This combined with the mother getting me to drive the family car which turned out to have no rego (Australia), 3 illegal tyres and an illegal windscreen and because I was driving I got the $100 fine which hasn't been paid.
I want to just leave.

Trifleorbust Tue 25-Apr-17 06:24:32

So it isn't on behalf of someone else. confused

user1492232552 Tue 25-Apr-17 06:24:39

Sorry got that text through this morning - she should just go shouldn't she ? I said the mother should have thought of her childcare etc before treating her so badly

Trifleorbust Tue 25-Apr-17 06:25:25

Okay hmm

user1492232552 Tue 25-Apr-17 06:26:01

What's with the face ?

hesterton Tue 25-Apr-17 06:28:10

Urg. You poor thing. Dont stay if you have somewhere to go. You will have to pay the fine sadly if she does't or you will be in trouble, not her. I guess chalk it up to experience.

Trifleorbust Tue 25-Apr-17 06:30:22

Who are you? What is your involvement in this? If you refuse to be clear you are wasting the time of other posters.

highinthesky Tue 25-Apr-17 06:48:35

Are you dependent on the job for a visa?

user1492232552 Tue 25-Apr-17 11:54:54

No the visa isn't job dependant, flights have been booked today. Chalk that up to experience I guess

Beelost Sun 28-May-17 15:04:51

Living as au-pair I had no such problems. But another au-pair had nothing to eat at home when her guest family went away on holidays. So my guest mother often gave me some food, so that I could give it to her

Iamastonished Sun 28-May-17 15:08:54

Are you the au pair then?

Beelost Sun 28-May-17 20:42:14

I used to be an au-pair, 4 years ago.

RebelRogue Sun 28-May-17 21:00:47

Think the dog thing is a text OP received from friend and she posted it as it was.

Mamabear12 Sun 04-Jun-17 10:03:58

Very strange to me. The mom probably works and doesn't pay attention to the household. I am stay at home so pay more attention to food in the house so buy foods every day almost. However, not really an excuse bc when I was working I also managed to know when to buy more food. If I was au pair I would let the mom or dad know the kids are hungry and need bread etc

chloeb2002 Thu 08-Jun-17 16:02:22

Plenty more ap jobs in Aus! No need to fly home... try au pair world?
Not every host family is difficult.

llhj Thu 08-Jun-17 18:08:27

Mamabear
What a load of sexist drivel. Why is it entirely the mom's fault for daring to work? Most working PARENTS manage to have food in the house.

Mamabear12 Thu 08-Jun-17 20:35:18

Ummm, hello?? Did you not see that last sentence where I said "let the mom or DAD know..." in my house hold I mainly take care of food shopping. My husband does occasionally, which I why in MY comment, I am referring to what I do in MY house hold. So no, I don't think my comment is sexist drivel.

Mamabear12 Thu 08-Jun-17 20:39:13

And forgot to add, I only think it's fair that I do most of the food shopping, since I'm the one home during the day. My husband regularly gets home 8 or 9pm from work, and also is not look g in the fridge to see what the kids have eaten bc he gets home, eats and works more and then sleeps. Wakes up and back to,work. So yea, I do the food shopping. When I was working, I got home by 6 so again, did the food shopping as I'm home first. If I were the one working until 8/9pm and paying all the bills, while my husband stayed at home and had the option to go to the store and ability check the fridge plan meals etc....then yes, he would do the food shoppping. ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now