Talk

Advanced search

Is this housework OK?

(18 Posts)
AgentOprah Mon 17-Apr-17 16:32:51

Two children in school and preschool.

Au pair does 20 hours childcare a week before and after school/preschool over 4 days.
I would also like her to:
Load and unload dishwasher daily
Wipe down kitchen surfaces after use
Put away any clothes in the children's clean laundry basket
Tidy and hoover children's bedroom including changing bedding once a week
Hoover the living room once a week
Sweep and mop the kitchen once a week

She also babysits 1-3 times a month.

Reasonable?

cansu Mon 17-Apr-17 16:37:00

Looks quite a lot to me. Other than cleaning up after herself and possibly unloading loading dishwasher you are being v cheeky in asking for all these cleaning and household work. Afaik an aupair is not a cleaner and nanny rolled into one.

AgentOprah Mon 17-Apr-17 16:38:12

What does your au pair do?

LockedOutOfMN Mon 17-Apr-17 16:38:19

I would take out the living room vacuuming and kitchen mopping because they're not directly/exclusively to do with the children. That said, I don't think they're unreasonable.

AgentOprah Mon 17-Apr-17 16:40:13

I haven't seen anything suggesting au pairs can only do jobs directly related to the children? Isn't that more for nannies?

Hoovering and sweeping is something all adults in a household have to do.

Underthemoonlight Mon 17-Apr-17 16:43:28

I agree it sounds too much.

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Mon 17-Apr-17 16:44:20

I'd probably not expect her to do the mopping or laundry. I'd ask her to encourage the children to keep their own bedrooms tidy.

LtGreggs Mon 17-Apr-17 16:48:22

I think it's fine - I was explicit that our au-pair was expected to do about 4 hours housework/week plus childcare stuff. Total hours was about 18 in term time and 30 in the holiday weeks they covered (about 4-6 weeks /year)

Just be clear that it's part of the role, right from advert stage.

Nancy91 Mon 17-Apr-17 16:48:23

I think it's too much, she might feel like a skivvy. Why not get a cleaner if you can't do these things?

LtGreggs Mon 17-Apr-17 16:49:49

It's all just stuff that's part of family life. I can't see what the problem would be?

AgentOprah Mon 17-Apr-17 16:50:14

Could those saying its too much expand on what hours their au pairs do, and what the housework/childcare split is?

AgentOprah Mon 17-Apr-17 16:52:38

I'm a bit surprised that hoovering/mopping is objected to - surely helping to keep communal areas clean is part of cleaning up after yourself and living as part of a family?

Sometimespostingalwayslurking Mon 17-Apr-17 23:27:14

I also think it's ok. I expect our au pair to clean the kitchen after use which includes sweeping the floors - maybe not mopping. He also does the kids laundry. If she only does 20 hours of childcare a week she can fill an extra five with helping around the house, especially tidying up after the kids. Agree with previous poster that keeping communal areas clean is part of belonging to a household. As long as you have a cleaner who is doing the regular heavy cleaning I think it's ok.

bevelino Tue 18-Apr-17 06:26:00

I think whether or not a workload is reasonable depends on a number of variables. For example.

An inexperienced teenager might find your schedule of tasks too much but an older or more experienced au pair may not. How much are you prepared to pay?

Do you have a large house and can you afford a cleaner?

Are you expecting your au pair to attend a language course, undertake child care responsibilities and clean your house? If so it might be too much.

Trifleorbust Wed 19-Apr-17 20:07:40

It's not definitely too much if 'wipe down kitchen after use' means wipe it down after she has used it, not wipe it down every time it is used. I also think loading and unloading the dishwasher daily sounds fine, except it actually requires her to be around after every meal and that is unreasonable. I would change that to doing this on the 4 days when she does childcare.

underneaththeash Sat 29-Apr-17 08:39:12

That's almost exactly what my au pair does house-work wise, although she also irons some of the children's clothes too.

All standard au pair stuff. I think some of the PP are getting confused with the nursery duties that a nanny would carry out.

bonzo77 Sat 29-Apr-17 08:56:32

I think if she can do them with in her allotted paid hours, and they are jobs you also do (i.e. assuming you're not getting her to do things you feel are beneath you), that's fine. Especially if you are visibly doing them too. As an adult living in your house, shared responsibility for tidying, dishwasher, laundry, dog walking, vacuuming is fine. In fact tidying up after meals she has participated in is really basic, and I would get the kids involved in that.

User2468 Sat 29-Apr-17 11:05:03

Seems very reasonable to me, as long as you set the salary at a suitable level to reflect time worked. I assume that the cleaning hours are on top of childcare hours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now