Talk

Advanced search

Reasonable au pair schedule?

(13 Posts)
rosethorn76 Sun 16-Apr-17 13:20:29

Have come to the conclusion that if I don't get some help soon I am going to crack up!

I'm a single mum in London with a demanding job and a 2 yr old.

Is this kind of set up a reasonable expectation for an au pair? Would be looking for French/Spanish speaker.

Would appreciate views and where might be best to start looking ?

2 bed flat in zone 2.
Own room.

£75pw
Oyster card
Two trips home per year (easyJet)
4 weeks paid holiday per year
Bank holidays off
Mobile phone Sim contract
Use of wifi
TV in room

2 days off (Sat and Sun usually free time - but available from time to time - to be agreed in advance)

Mon - Fri:

- Get son ready, breakfasted and take to nursery 
7 - 9am (2h)

- Pick up from nursery, take to park/ activities at home, occasionally give him dinner, otherwise we eat together 
5.30 - 7.30pm (2h)

Additionally :

Babysitting - 3.5h twice a week on weekdays (7.30 - 11)

From time to time: overnights/ weekend babysitting - to be scheduled in advance 

= 27hrs pw (plus occasional extra babysitting/ extend hrs as I come home a little later due to meetings)

Light housework, hoovering, washing up, emptying bins.

Any additional babysitting (over 30hrs) £9 per hour (agreed in advance)

chickenjalfrezi Sun 16-Apr-17 13:26:29

I think that sounds great but also placemarking for advice as planning to get au pair later in the year

NuffSaidSam Sun 16-Apr-17 13:33:28

That all sounds ok.

What you do need to do is factor in the light housekeeping into the overall hours. You've worked out 27 hours which is fine and then added in 'and housework', that needs to be part of the agreed hours.

Bear in mind that an au pair will generally need quite specific guidance, so you would need to specify the things you want done, so maybe 'after dropping DS at nursery, clear breakfast things and empty bin. Hoover the bedrooms.' Maybe add an hour a day for light housework, either 9am-10am or 4:30-5:30pm. You can then sepcify what you want done in each of these hours.

You will inevitably get responses telling you that you can't have an au pair for a two-year old. You can, just obviously go for someone slightly older and with a bit of experience.

LIZS Sun 16-Apr-17 13:35:47

Not sure sole care overnights are appropriate for aupair . Where would 2 yo sleep if you only have 2 beds? Language course should be included.

JigglyTuff Sun 16-Apr-17 13:42:17

Hmm I think that's a bit on the low side. Minimum should be £85 for 30 hours a week which is really what you're asking as you want her to clean too. And you're in central London so you need to increase that. I'd say about £100/week.

JigglyTuff Sun 16-Apr-17 13:43:34

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a541456/au-pairs

rosethorn76 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:18:14

Thanks all. smileThat's really helpful. Sounds like I'm on the right track but I should factor in housework and also think about clearer instructions.

LIZS - My son still sleeps with me and until he stops breastfeeding I can't see that changing! One day he'll sleep in his own bed but for now I may as well use that room to make my life easier. Overnights would be a once in a blue moon occurrence - try to avoid it if I can and do a work trip in a day.

Do people generally cover language school as well? Have seen contradictory statements on that.

Jigglyturf £85-100 pw sounds reasonable and that's what your link is suggesting.

Feeling so much better now knowing I'll have someone to help out. This just isn't sustainable. I feel tired ill and stressed out constantly and that isn't fair on him. 

underneaththeash Sun 16-Apr-17 20:59:52

I'd pay £100. Job description sounds fine. None of mine would have been okay for overnights for a few months (especially considering your son is quite little)...

I pay registration fee only at the language school, its usual for your au pair to pay for lessons and I'd really encourage them to do them as it massively aids their language development and helps them to make friends.

AndNowItIsSeven Sun 16-Apr-17 21:04:08

How would the proxy parenting work if your ds feeds through the night? Also you would need to pay at least £100 a night.

Cazz81 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:05:30

personally i think its fair. oystercard is expensive. i suggest that you give a higher weekly pocket money without oystercard included and she might want to just do a pay as you go / bus pass instead to save bit of cash

Oly5 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:45:13

I think you need to pay £100pw in London.
And factor in the housework into the 27 hours. You don't want your au pair spending all their time cleaning instead of hanging out with your son.
Au pairs are brilliant if you get the right one!

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 19-Apr-17 19:49:29

Are you sure it isn't cheaper to do a nanny share after full time nursery + £100 + oyster + trips home etc?

Boooooom Wed 19-Apr-17 19:51:10

This might sound silly but might be worth including that meals are included, breakfast lunch and dinner. Snacks they can sort out themselves. Our au pair did nothing but eat (I'm talking ALL DAY) and our budget for food didn't stretch. She left a lot 'larger' than when she arrived! It's funny now but at the time I couldn't shop fast enough and it grated on me.
Was amazing help when we needed it though so hope you find someone that fits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now