Talk

Advanced search

First sewing attempt in a while

(9 Posts)
Rochelaise18 Fri 08-Mar-19 20:31:15

I haven't done any sewing for a long time. I used to be pretty good with it at school, but stopped for a number of years. I decided to get back into it a while back after finding some fabric I'd bought and forgotten about. I had a think about what to do and decided on something simple to get myself back into it. So I made a small cushion. Think I need a bit more practice.

DinosaursWouldEatYou Wed 03-Jul-19 17:11:29

That looks fantastic, hand stitch or sewing machine? I'm attempting to make a cushion for my daughter's room using quilting patches.

Frenchfancy Wed 03-Jul-19 17:14:47

Good place to start, and that fabric looks slippery which doesn't make the job easier!

Rochelaise18 Sun 28-Jul-19 04:08:00

Thanks.
@Frenchfancy it was. I seem to have a habit of, when not sewing with cotton, finding really slippy fabrics to sew with! But I like the feel of satin and velvets, so...
@DinosaursWouldEatYou it was with a sewing machine. I was mainly trying to see if it was good for sewing the likes of satin. There was a lot of swearing involved as it was a vintage machine without a manual and I had to download one just to find out how to insert the bobbin once threaded.
I now have a new machine (still use the vintage for sewing some cotton items) and made a few velvet cushions with the new one:

cakeandchampagne Sun 28-Jul-19 04:18:13

“There was a lot of swearing involved....” smile
They look great! Enjoy the sewing (again)- and the fabric shopping!

BitOfFun Sun 28-Jul-19 04:21:17

Ooh yes- fabric shopping is the best!

JaneHitch Wed 21-Aug-19 14:50:27

For a first go in a while then you have done really well - also as you say you didn't pick the easiest of fabrics to dive back into it with - so kudos to you for just going for it.
For fabrics with nap, silks, stretch fabrics there are a few tips and tricks to make the air less blue - as you are battling two things the fabric against the feed dogs and presser foot - but most importantly the slidey shiny sides facing each other - that is why you often end up with mis-matched pieces when you get to the end of the line - as all of those are fighting against each other and you are fighting with them - so lets figure better ways to make it a fair fight !!
If you want to work with this fabric again - I can send you my top tips - as I run a sewing school so can pass on my wisdom.

Most importantly - don't be put off - keep practising - to put things into perspective - think back to what it was like the first time you drove a car !!

JaneHitch Wed 21-Aug-19 14:57:57

PS - love my vintage machines - I even go back to hand crank machines when doing the finishing sewing for lingerie or corsets.

I have lots of sewing guides and manuals for vintage machines that I can share with you - as the different makes have their own little foibles - if I don't have them - then be very wary about what you download - and quite frankly there are a lot of crooks out there that will ask you to pay a lot of money for a freely downloaded PDF.

Happy to share what I have - as for a lot of these the copyright has expired - so I won't be infringing our laws.

Rochelaise18 Wed 21-Aug-19 15:18:15

@JaneHitch the swearing was at the sewing machine and came while trying to get it to pick the bobbin thread up. It gets more frustrating when you've checked, double-checked and triple checked the manual you downloaded and followed the instructions perfectly but it refuses to cooperate! I eventually tried the spare shuttle and that worked perfectly, so can only conclude that a previous owner did something to knacker the one they fitted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »