they are all telling me I'm no good aren't they?

(14 Posts)
passivesonata Tue 12-Jan-16 16:56:02

I struggle with this big time, for example, I paint and I am part of a small online artists group where we share photos of our art work and have an agreed 'constructive criticism policy' if CC is asked for. I've done three pictures that I'm not sure about and so have asked for CC but it's never been forthcoming so my conclusion is that it's because my pictures are that terrible that nobody wants to be the person to tell me. I have a web page with my artwork on it and it has a far few people who have subscribed for updates but when I post a photo of my art work it gets no comments, likewise when I share a picture of my artwork on various FB groups it gets hardly any likes or comments, maybe 3 or 4 out of a membership in the hundreds.
Now a group I know want to arrange for an artist to do some paintings for them, the other day I was approached about paintings 'because we thought you might know somebody who could do paintings for us'

They are all telling me that I'm no good aren't they?

Didiusfalco Tue 12-Jan-16 17:11:42

Art is so subjective though isnt it? Im sure some people will like what you do. I bet if you were really bad you would know. In any case, does it actually matter if you enjoy it? I take photos - badly - but its a hobby and im on a learning curve, so it doesnt matter. Do you feel brave enough to post any pictures here?

TheoriginalLEM Tue 12-Jan-16 17:13:58

Show us then, i'll be brutally honest.

ShowOfHands Tue 12-Jan-16 17:15:52

Come on. Pics please.

Blarblarblar Tue 12-Jan-16 17:20:49

I'll be hones but it might sting.

passivesonata Tue 12-Jan-16 17:21:57

I can't share a picture, it'll out me to a couple of people I know IRL who use MN, sorry.

Then we can't really help.

It could be various things including peoples tastes. I've noticed on a DIY/decorating group on FB that the posts that get most comments (and are therefore bumped up so you can't see anything else and I can't find posts I wanted to read!) are ones about, or with photos of, hideously tacky glittery stuff that has no taste and is just cheap mass used bling 'style' that so many people keep going for.

So it could be due to the tastes of the group, or lack of it!

passivesonata Wed 13-Jan-16 12:30:47

Thanks, the main trouble is that I think my paintings are no good so I interpret the lack of a response as confirmation of this and then feel inclined to give up painting. I enjoy it but if I'm no good at it then I might as well not do it.

YouGottaKeepEmSeparated Wed 13-Jan-16 12:32:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lougle Wed 13-Jan-16 12:48:13

As others have said, you could be right or you could be wrong, but without a picture it's impossible to tell.

FishWithABicycle Wed 13-Jan-16 13:56:03

Name change to a single-use user ID (eg AnonymousMumsnetter1357976533566) and start a new thread with 3 of your own pictures on and 3 pictures randomly chosen from other artists of similar style swiped from the Web, asking for comments. Only you will know which comments are about your own work and which are about the work of random strangers.

Arfarfanarf Wed 13-Jan-16 14:01:36

Start another thread in 30 days.

People are right when they say there is no way to offer a meaningful view without seeing the pictures.

At least if yoh start it in 30 days igll be gone in a month and lower chance of anyone happening across it.

Or show us something you've done that you havent shown the group.

passivesonata Wed 13-Jan-16 14:19:12

That's a good idea, I'll do it when I'm not on my phone.

MagentaRose72 Wed 10-Aug-16 00:06:55

How do you know the others aren't jealous of your talent?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now