Talk

Advanced search

How much water do I need to add to PVA Glue for decopatch'ing?

(10 Posts)
Snowstorm Sun 18-Oct-15 11:27:46

I've Googled but the answers seem to vary so widely from 50/50 to 1/5th ... confusing!

TIA

OurBlanche Sun 18-Oct-15 11:31:36

I found 50:50 was quite watery, so I started with about 10% and worked up to a level I liked. I use about 30% now. It should be a balance between usability, stickableness and what works with your papers - and don't forget to factor in layering and drying time.

I found that spending half an hour or so with some sample bits was useful.

Sorry, that wasn't a real answer, 'suck it and see' never is, but, in this case, is my only answer smile

Snowstorm Sun 18-Oct-15 11:53:04

Thank you for getting back to me and it was helpful! I'll start with your 30th and see how that goes.

Snowstorm Sun 18-Oct-15 12:00:15

Ooos - 30% I mean!

Snowstorm Sun 18-Oct-15 12:00:46

Oooops ... oh god ... I'll just stop now ...

FetaComplete Sun 18-Oct-15 12:12:54

Have you tried the decopatch glue/varnish? The bigger bottles are better value but it's still quite pricey.

Snowstorm Sun 18-Oct-15 13:00:13

The lady in the shop told me that if I added water to PVA then it'd do exactly the same job but for a more reasonable price FetaComplete ... the only thing is that between buying the stuff and my DD opening her birthday present, I completely forgot how much water she said to add.

OurBlanche Sun 18-Oct-15 13:16:19

www.creativehobbysupplies.co.uk/blog/read_130610/whats-the-difference-mod-podge-pva-decopatch-glue.html

There are lots of people doing comparisons out there smile

I think even MoneySavingWotsits have a thread or two on it :D

FetaComplete Sun 18-Oct-15 14:01:41

Oh, that's interesting thanks

OurBlanche Sun 18-Oct-15 14:24:09

Thanks smile

After about 8 years of reading about it I have just started selling my made crap and drafting my own clothes. So I have a lot of weird crafting/sewing info filed away somewhere... I warn you, I could bore you to tears grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now