Talk

Advanced search

Beginner Knitting

(8 Posts)
flamesparrow Sat 13-Aug-05 10:04:17

I wanna teach myself how to knit, but what do I need to start? There seem to be so many different sized needles, how do you know what to get etc???

Lonelymum Sat 13-Aug-05 10:06:51

The old size 8s was what I started on when I was a child - they are about half way between the thicket and the thinnest. But I am sure someone else more knowledgeable than me can help you out.

Lonelymum Sat 13-Aug-05 10:07:33

When you buy a pattern, it tells you what size needles you need for that particular pattern.

henshake Sat 13-Aug-05 11:00:29

I bought myself a Miss Bea book that had patterns and showed you how to knit. There are various Miss Bea books and the styles are lovely. They have tended to be a bit on the larger size so is ideal as DS is slightly bigger than average.

I have only just got into knitting this year and whilst it's a damn sight more ex. than buying from the shop, it's so worthwhile cause you've made it.

Also, if you find a good knitting shop then the ladies always tend to help you, anything to get some one else on the knitting cart.

Hope all goes well.

mumtosomeone Sat 13-Aug-05 11:21:37

A good wool shop will help you out. Although they are few and far between.
Just get some double knit wool and a medium needle (4 ish) and start. just knit a square or something to get you going. All patterns tell you what wool and what size needle you need!

Dophus Sat 13-Aug-05 15:53:36

I just started a few weeks ago. Poor DS - I enjoy it so he may have to pt up with creations for a few more years.

I bought a book called 'woolcraft' by patton which has the basics in. Try a couple of simple childrens patterns in cheap wool.

For nice patterns for noth children and adult look no further than Rowan. Their website is
www.knitrowan.com

I have also found the lady in the woolchop helpful for techniques but as they are not Rowan stockists the patterns are straght from the middle of the last century.

flamesparrow Sun 14-Aug-05 00:37:22

Managed to get a great book to teach me... £5.50, goes from the basics to knitting piles of different baby clothes

It took me 1hr 10 mins, but I knitted my very first 3inch square all by myself!

It's sad just how proud I am of it

woodpops Mon 15-Aug-05 10:53:53

There's a knitting set for beginners in ELC. Give it a go. I've considered getting it as I'd love to knit. I used to, my grandma taught me but I forgotten and I can't ask her as she died in December.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now