Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Potentially controversial comment about Card-Making.....

(194 Posts)
Gameboy Thu 11-Aug-05 23:02:49

OK, I appreciate that I may get shot down in flames for this, but honestly, this is a GENUINE question about card-making, based on something I've observed since the whole 'home made card' thing took off a few years back -

What is the real satisfaction in making cards from those 'ready cut'/ ready stick 'embellishments' that everywhere seems to sell these days??

Now, I TOTALLY get the whole 'home-made card' thing, but only in the sense of a truly 'one-off' self-designed piece of artwork, where someone ahs used their artistic skills/ paint/ self cut shapes, whatever to create something truly unique.

But what I see these days is just crass 'ready cut' combinations of the same bits and pieces thrown together in mostly similar ways?

That's not a 'handmade card' in the artistic sense surely?

And those peel off/ stick on italic phrases like 'Happy Birthday'/ Good Luck' etc --- Yeurch!

AS I said, I really don't mean to upset people, but I just don't really see the point. I mean it's not 'art' is it? Or is it?

Hattie05 Thu 11-Aug-05 23:21:57

Dare i say it?

But i agree with you!

I do admit to buying some of the ready cut shapes for my 2year old to collage her own design on cards for people. But would feel a bit silly doing it myself.

marthamoo Thu 11-Aug-05 23:23:24

Is it possible to be controversial about card making?

Ach, what am I saying, this is Mumsnet - of course it's possible.

Has this thing kicked off yet?

Tinker Thu 11-Aug-05 23:24:34

Am loving this thread title.

Twiglett Thu 11-Aug-05 23:25:31

<sitting back on couch with large bowl of popcorn waiting with bated breath for this to kick off>

misdee Thu 11-Aug-05 23:26:05

will it?

or will we be sat here all night?

helsi Thu 11-Aug-05 23:27:10

there are many things that you can do with the ready made embellishments to make them unique although I wold rather create my own. As for the peel offs, I find them ok as do many of my customers who buy my cards. I don't use them in all of them as I do caligraph most but as a full time working mum it is sometimes easier to use the peel offs.

My comment is - and those shop bought, common, samey samey, no though gone in cards - Yeurch!

Fauve Thu 11-Aug-05 23:27:57

We could all make a few cards while we're waiting.

Twiglett Thu 11-Aug-05 23:28:16

<hands misdee bowl of popcorn and large wooden spoon .. go on my girl you stir it up a little let's see them fireworks >

Tinker Thu 11-Aug-05 23:29:00

Think it might be warming up.

bettys Thu 11-Aug-05 23:31:42

Think the cardmakers are all tucked up in bed with their catalogues.

helsi Thu 11-Aug-05 23:32:07

You don't have to buy them in fact I would rather someone who didn't appreciate my work didn't buy them

(how am I doing girls? revving it up? eh? eh?)

My cards are art as most things created by someone with a personal touch can be classed as art.

Anyway some people might not want it to e art - just fun and personal and therapeutic

cardmakinglady Thu 11-Aug-05 23:32:30

Well I think that's a horrible thing to say. I make my own cards and I get all the sticky on things from Lakeland - the new catalogue came today, ooh I was that thrilled I nearly wet me knickers. And I can tell you that it takes a lot of effort and artisticness to stick things on straight and not get glue all over the place. A lot more effort than just buying a card in Birthdays, madam. But I'm never sending you one of my beautiful cards - I only send them to people I like, so there.

Twiglett Thu 11-Aug-05 23:33:29

Wonders: should I throw a Tracey Emin comment in here?

helsi Thu 11-Aug-05 23:33:54

Use your real name cardmakinglady - don't be pushed in the craft cupboard - be proud of your art!!

cardmakinglady Thu 11-Aug-05 23:34:08

Does she make her own cards?

QueenOfQuotes Thu 11-Aug-05 23:34:27

Have to confess I much prefer TOTALLY handmade cards to the stuff they just peel off and stick on.......blimey I may as well make them myself - if I buy any handmade cards I wanted PROPER handmade cards I'm afraid.

Tinker Thu 11-Aug-05 23:34:43

Out of canvas

helsi Thu 11-Aug-05 23:34:54

Yes Twigglet the pile of pots/pans and glasses in my sink are a wondeful art form. as is the lazy lump in my bed snoring away so that I can't get in.

Might go ake some cards!!

Hattie05 Thu 11-Aug-05 23:35:05

helsi, i havn't seen your work and so was not making any personal comments about it.

I do think though that the world has gone mad over handmade cards. I had a friend send me three birthday cards she had made because she couldn't decide which she liked best???

As for shop bought cards, i only ever buy the ones that make me laugh out loud in the shop . And never ever duplicate.

Twiglett Thu 11-Aug-05 23:35:20

no .. she doesn't actually make anything .. I believe she has a team of old women to stitch her tent

cardmakinglady Thu 11-Aug-05 23:35:22

Oh it's OK, QofQ is here for some real controversy

I could change my name back.

QueenOfQuotes Thu 11-Aug-05 23:35:54

cardmakinglady Thu 11-Aug-05 23:36:02

Isn't that Cath Kidston?

Janh Thu 11-Aug-05 23:36:15

snork

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now