Talk

Advanced search

proffesional dyers of sofa covers

(7 Posts)
bumptobabies Wed 27-Jul-05 09:00:24

does anyone know where i can take my sofa covers to be proffesionaly dyed, they are a burgandy cord and we want them a grey i think they would have to take the colour out first,or anyone that could make the covers (which are removable)in a grey fabric,which ever one is the cheapest.
we are in north london.
any help would be great.

CountessDracula Wed 27-Jul-05 09:04:17

there used to be a shop on Baker St (or was it Gloucester Place?) called We will dye for you

Don't know if it's still there

serah Thu 28-Jul-05 00:20:48

I dyed my sofa myself.... it was blue and is now dark brown.
It cost £30 to do as it is a big settee with heavy canvas covers.
Took all the colour out first using Dygon, and then just ran the covers round the machine with the dye in appropriate weight batches.
Its really really easy to do and SO much cheaper than profesional dyers or new covers

serah Thu 28-Jul-05 00:22:23

Don't forget that this method will leave you with burgundy zips though - as will getting them professionally dyed. You can get them changed, but lucky for me, blue is the highlight colour in our room, so the zips look good!

Chandra Thu 28-Jul-05 00:27:33

The main problem I encountered when dyeing mine at home was to find a washing machine big enough to get the full sofa cover and cushion cases in it in a single wash, as it is impossible to achieve the same shade of colour if dyeing the pieces separately. My sofa was white but still the colour I got doesn't look as nice as the one in the box, even when I calculated extra dye to make up for the weight.

serah Thu 28-Jul-05 00:35:13

Know what you mean Chandra - I think I was probably lucky with the weights of the loads as mine turned out perfectly. Some people have all the luck....

bumptobabies Thu 28-Jul-05 08:43:56

the zip thing would be fine as you cant see them,but fitting them in the machine would be tricky as its an odd shape its like a big square perfect for spreading out.maybe i could go to a launerette.thanks for the tips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now