Talk

Advanced search

Inspiration needed for DS' nursery “make a hat comp”

(9 Posts)
vala Tue 26-Jul-05 17:15:20

Hi,

here’s hoping that some of the more “crafty” people can help me.

DS (3) nursery are running a “make a hat” competition and I don’t want him to miss out but I’m not very good at this sort of thing.
To further complicate things – the hat can ONLY be made from every day things found around the house – preferably recycled from stuff you would normally just throw away.
I’m totally at a loss.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SoupDragon Tue 26-Jul-05 17:24:27

Hmmmm.... what sort of junk do you have hanging around the house?? Does your DS have any favourite tv/book characters who wear a hat?

Papier mache Bob the Builder hat? Mould over a balloon.

helsi Tue 26-Jul-05 17:25:43

could you make a top hat but in the style of a bin? rubbish could be spilling out from the top e.g. newspaper, old pen, empty yoghurt pot etc

mandyc66 Tue 26-Jul-05 17:29:16

like that idea Helsi!!!
Use card from cereal packets. I take it there is no theme? what a bout a newspaper hat ?
open up a box so it looks like a book put a circular band insid to fit his head. then cover with scraps of newspaper.

vala Tue 26-Jul-05 17:30:50

Thanks SD – not sure that your excellent suggestions are quite what they are aiming at though.
The example they have in the reception area is made from a plastic carrier bag – intended to sit on top of the head and NOT over it!!
[I was alarmed to see it and checked].
This carrier bag has flowers made from bits of paper, cardboard from cereal packets and the plastic bit inside said packets stuck all over it.
I think they are looking for something along these lines – ok for girls but what to do for boys.
Obviously, I have all that kind of stuff around the house.

vala Tue 26-Jul-05 17:32:04

Ohh Helsi, fantastic idea – I think I could do that one – Brilliant. Thanks.

vala Tue 26-Jul-05 17:35:25

Got to go and pick DS up from nursery – will double check the rules.

Thanks again for the suggestions – feeling much better about it now.
Will check in the morning for any more –
Quite exited now – thanks ladies.

vala Wed 27-Jul-05 11:00:44

Right – checked out the rules at the nursery last night.
Apparently, as long as it resembles a hat and is made entirely of recycled rubbish then all is well.

Think I will do the Top Hat suggestion for definite now.
DS will think he’s the Fat Controller

mandyc66 Wed 27-Jul-05 16:33:41

good luck..is it pos to post a photo of finished hat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now