Advanced search

Safety eyes for toys - how to get the bloomin things fastened!

(8 Posts)
MeeMeeMee Fri 12-Feb-10 18:57:51

I am having a nightmare with safety eyes. Is there a tool that you can use for doing these, I really don't think my fingers are up to it.

I took a pair of pliers to them in sheer desperation but that just sent the eye pinging across the room......

I will give you a moment to compose yourselves as I know you are now snickering at me...

but seriously what am I meant to do?

jollyma Fri 12-Feb-10 21:51:30

What are safety eyes?

StayFrosty Fri 12-Feb-10 21:56:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EssenceOfJack Fri 12-Feb-10 22:23:16

Have you tried sweaqring at them?

I get DH to do mine. Although do you have the back the right way round? One way they are a bastard, the other way is fricking impossible

MeeMeeMee Sat 13-Feb-10 07:27:16

Yes they are those little black beady things, will try the cardboard trick thanks. Already asked DH but he tried and said that they are impossible!!

Also tried swearing at them, threatening them, talking nice to them, .......I'm spending too much time with safety eyes me thinks! grin

Yeahshop Sun 03-Jul-11 03:31:10

A safety eye usually has two parts, the eye and the washer to fix the eye on the doll. For the sake of safety, the washer must join firmly with the eye and should not be pulled out with manual effort. Toy factories usually have machines and tools to install safety eyes. We craft lovers do not have these machines or tools, so we have to find a solution. Please see if the tips on help.

KurriKurri Sun 03-Jul-11 13:57:26

I have to use a lot of these for my work, take care getting the washer lined up properly so it is 'square' on the stick of the eye, hold the eye with one hand the washer with the other. It will either go reasonable easily, or it will be a total bugger. If I get a total bugger I use a washer from another one until I find one that goes on relatively easily.

kellestar Tue 05-Jul-11 19:42:25

Raided my husbands socket set for a piece that fits over the shaft and applies pressure to get the washer on square.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: