Talk

Advanced search

lavender

(6 Posts)
Puppy Mon 11-Jul-05 14:05:22

I have lots of lavender in my garden, Just wondering if anybody can recommend some websites telling me what i can do with it and how to dry it.

littlerach Mon 11-Jul-05 14:07:41

I think you have to pick it whilst "young" and tie up to dry it, maybe outside in this weather.
Then you can use it for whatever you like, DD1 makes perfume with ours!

bakedpotato Mon 11-Jul-05 14:10:17

is it too old for drying once the flowers have popped out?

WigWamBam Mon 11-Jul-05 14:19:23

I've had a look in my herbal, and it says that "lavender for drying is gathered when the flowers are in full bloom, in late July or August".

You should pick them in the mornng of a dry day, when the dew has dried - this is when the oils in the plant are at their highest, and so the colour and scent will be best.

Cut the flowers with long stems, and tie them together in small bunches to hang upside-down in a warm, dark place such as the airing cupboard. It can take quite a while for them to dry fully, but at least your airing cupboard will smell nice! Keep the door slightly open to allow the air to circulate.

Dingle Mon 11-Jul-05 14:25:28

We are just digging out one of our borders in the garden to make way for a summer house/playhouse. I am just about to have a go at drying some lavender, and rosemary for putting into my papermaking!! I have been meaning to do it for ages but it seems my timing is OK if I do it now!

Puppy Mon 18-Jul-05 22:40:14

Thanks for the replies, i will pick some at the weekend, and will look at what i can do with it on the net.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now