Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

knitting - what would you do with...

(22 Posts)
beansmum Fri 17-Jun-05 09:26:43

2 50g balls of cashmere wool?
not really enough for anything more than a hat is it? but that's a bit boring, any exciting ideas?

Marina Fri 17-Jun-05 09:28:16

Lacy little scarf?
I got a teeny pattern from my Rowan Club membership, including two balls of Kidsilk Haze, which allegedly will go far enough to knit a small scarf. Possibly not for bean (), but if I rootle out the pattern this weekend would you like a copy?

beansmum Fri 17-Jun-05 09:30:12

ooh yes please!
it's lovely wool, came in a little plastic box because it's soooooooo fancy, but don't know what to do with it!

Marina Fri 17-Jun-05 09:31:58

I am dozy, for some reason I read mohair for cashmere (the way my two get through clothes at the mo I am most knitting garments in the yarn equivalent of liner hawser ) but I will send you the pattern anyway beansmum.
I'll CAT you Monday once I have unearthed it from my "to knit" stash at the back of the wardrobe

beansmum Fri 17-Jun-05 09:33:46

thanks! I'll give it a go, but even if the wool I have isn't suitable you can never have too many knitting patterns!

suzywong Fri 17-Jun-05 09:36:02

gloves? or mittens

bundle Fri 17-Jun-05 09:37:40

i've got some lovely toy patterns but i suppose that's a bit extravagant isn't it? what about a tiny bag?

Dingle Fri 17-Jun-05 09:38:35

Marina, could I be cheeky and ask for a copy too...sshhhhh... I have so much odd wool, and I am trying to work my way through it. I have made quite a few little kiddies plimsol type bags, but it seem such a shame using some of the more luxurious wools on bags!!

If you don't mind, please email me on dinglecards at yahoo . co. uk.

Thank you!

beansmum Fri 17-Jun-05 09:40:32

oooh a tiny little evening bag/purse type thing might be nice, with BEADS!!! I love beads, knit them into everything!

Dingle Fri 17-Jun-05 09:41:52

Ooh...bag...I have some patterns- I think they are Rowan, quite a few different styles, lacy, beaded, gorgeous!!

Marina Fri 17-Jun-05 09:46:12

No problem Dingle , I have been meaning to CAT you about my failure to locate anything nice for your dd due to the shop closing down at Cite d'Europe. Batters will confirm I let her down too
But also got no clothes for ds and dd unless you count a vile pair of Lucky Luke socks in the Carrefour...

Dingle Fri 17-Jun-05 09:50:31

Really, no worries Marina! Thank you so much for looking anyway. Amelia is doing really well with her potty training, and I am looking on the brightside that she won't be nappies for ever. She is wearing her little school dresses with a little pair or ordinary knickers over her pull ups. (whispers...would you like to see her???I have loaded some pics online!)

sorry hijack over!

Marina Fri 17-Jun-05 09:53:32

I'd love to! do I look in Member Profiles? So glad she is making such progress, you must be very proud of her
(hijack over)

beansmum Fri 17-Jun-05 09:54:25

get off my thread!!

dingle, would you mind having a look at your bag patterns and seeing if there are any tiny ones? please

I suppose I could just do a rectangular one and sew a zip in, with a wrist strap maybe?

bundle Fri 17-Jun-05 09:56:43

beansmum i think there's a nice one in one of my rowan kids books. will have a look.

weesaidie Fri 17-Jun-05 09:58:50

You knit with beads beansmum? I want to knit with beads!! Is it really fiddly?

I once knitted a really sweet wee hat for my mum with rowan kidsilk haze but it ended up fitting my dd (at the time about 6 months old!) Honestly, I have no idea how it happened, it was an 'adult' pattern and I used the right materials. I very nervous about using it again now!

bundle Fri 17-Jun-05 10:00:40

is it dk btw?

beansmum Fri 17-Jun-05 10:01:24

it's not fiddly at all, you thread the beads onto the wool before you cast on, then when you want to place a bead in the pattern you just slide it up and push it up next to the stich on the needle. Does that make sense?

I always end up making things smaller than they should be, you just have to watch your tension and maybe use bigger needles

Dingle Fri 17-Jun-05 10:01:56

Here's the link but the site is down ATM!

I think my mum has the best book, I will sort it out for you beansmum.

weesaidie Fri 17-Jun-05 10:03:32

Yeah that makes sense, will give it a go, if I ever finish the two jumpers I am doing!

I don't think it is my tension that is the problem though as I generally knit quite loose. And this hat was about quarter the size it should have been! It was so bizarre, still have the pattern and sure did everything right!

weesaidie Fri 17-Jun-05 10:05:15

Have you ever been to knitty.com? It is like an online knitting magazine and has new patterns every season and some are quite cool....

beansmum Fri 17-Jun-05 10:07:43

must have been a mistake in the pattern then. so annoying when you want to make something nice for someone and it turns out wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now