Talk

Advanced search

What kind of paint for PVC and cloth?

(9 Posts)
Shitemum Thu 05-Nov-09 21:16:05

I need to paint a vanity case white to turn it into a toy medical kit for the DDs. It is like a little suitcase with hard sides and top. The top and bottom are imitation leather and the sides are stripy cloth. The label inside says it is made of PVC and polyester.

What kind of paint would cover these materials well and not flake off or come off in the event of it getting wet?

I'm thinking acrylic craft paint or a water based emulsion that would normally be used on walls...?

Thanks!

Shitemum Thu 05-Nov-09 23:12:40

bump

shockers Thu 05-Nov-09 23:15:22

I'd go and ask in your local hobby/ craft shop. They will probably know and stock what you need.
Or shoe dye for the PVC bits.

Songbird Thu 05-Nov-09 23:21:51

Oh, painting a vanity case. I was hoping for a much more exciting OP with mentions of PVC.

Sorry, not helping! You could google 'painting on PVC' or summat.

Shitemum Thu 05-Nov-09 23:24:51

songbird - PVC makes me think of plastic table cloths, I obviously don't get out enough...grin
shockers - local craft shop suggested [their expensive] acrylic paint.

shockers Thu 05-Nov-09 23:30:03

I wonder if you primed it first, would ordinary gloss work? Are they likely to chew it?

Shitemum Thu 05-Nov-09 23:36:36

Yes, I was wondering if eggshell (? Sorry, been away a long time and can't remember if that's what you call paint that is neither very shiny or matt but in between!) would be best for the PVC bits and a more matt acrylic for the clothy bits would be best. They won't chew it, are 3 and 6 yo.
Don't want to mess it up as the case is just the perfect shape and size and was so pleased to find it in a charity shop yesterday...smile

Songbird Fri 06-Nov-09 13:16:04

You could always cover it, probably with more PVC. And yes, I have a filthy mind grin

moocowme Fri 06-Nov-09 18:36:53

go to a shoe repair shop. they have colour change paints for vinyl/synthetic shoes. this should work well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now