Talk

Advanced search

Acrylic Paint

(6 Posts)
Monadami Mon 02-Nov-09 01:40:45

Is Acrylic paint toxic in anyway?

It's my Partner's birthday in about 9 days and I've purchased a canvas and some acrylic paints with the intention of trying to get my 5 month old to paint his dad a picture.

I thought I might also put some paint on his hand and foot and print them on the canvas too, but obviously wouldn't if the paint is harmful in anyway.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

kcartyparty Mon 02-Nov-09 22:15:42

If it does not say non-toxic then I would not try it.

If you buy a normal water base non-toxic paint this will be just as good.

Baker Ross sell non - toxic acrylic paints but they cost a lot and it takes 5 days for their cheapest delivery.

Try ELC, Tesco, Asda etc

samja Tue 03-Nov-09 16:54:12

If its of any decent quality then some pigments contain heavy metals like cadmium and chromium etc. Not a great idea for a 5 month old. Also your chances of getting it off without some staining are slim...

Monadami Wed 04-Nov-09 00:39:24

Thanks. I will probably do the painting myself and pretend baby has done it.

samja Thu 05-Nov-09 11:43:46

Just a thought. You could use waterbased, children's paint and then use a matt varnish over it.

Monadami Fri 06-Nov-09 02:27:18

I would have done Samja, but just spent £10 on 5 small tubes of Acrylic, so determined to use them. I doubt my little one will be able to hold a brush very well, I tried to get him to sign his Great Aunt's birthday card and he really wasn't very happy Lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now