Talk

Advanced search

so if I were to make my own bunting...

(12 Posts)
fridayschild Sun 01-Nov-09 20:01:26

How big should the little flags be, and what would you suggest I should use for the "string"?

I am thinking it can't possibly be that hard to do, can it?

vivaGlasvegas Sun 01-Nov-09 21:10:11

Oh I shall send Essie3 in your direction - she gave me great instructions for making lovely bunting!...

southeastastra Sun 01-Nov-09 21:11:23

you sew triangle shapes, together.

if you need to ask i don't think you should attempt it grin

ninah Sun 01-Nov-09 21:12:36

you could use string?

moocowme Sun 01-Nov-09 21:37:23

i would make them about the size of my hand. you could use one piece of fabric for the flag section and trim the raw edges with (not sure what you call these in England) pinking shears. those diagonal cutting sisors

i would sew it together with bias binding, that way you sew the top of the flag inside the seam.

fridayschild Sun 01-Nov-09 21:45:55

I think we call them pinking shears here too. And yes, bias binding was what I had in mind. I just couldn't remember what it was called!

Handsize is a good tip too.

Thanks very much.

the39thstep Sun 01-Nov-09 21:56:03

Erm, I have made bunting. The flags I made with a 1cm hem zigzagged so neat on both sides. I think the places that sell it on the internet use double fabric but I wanted it to be fluttery. Pinking shears would be OK but maybe not last as long?

For string I used 1 cm cotton tape, so it doesn't quite cover the raw edges (zigazagged the tops too) but from a distance it looks OK. I was in a bit of a hurry! Should think bias binding would be all right.

Finished size is about 8 inches deep, 6 inches wide and 2 inch gap between each flag.

stealthsquiggle Sun 01-Nov-09 22:02:07

On making enquiries, my local friendly haberdashery shop recommended cotton tape as being cheaper than bias binding (20p/metre, IIRC) and it worked well.

Given that I my sewing maching is rubbish at zig-zag and I didn't have any fusable interlining stuff as recommended on the sites I found (or any pinking shears) I cut triangles and sewed them together the old-fashioned way, then just folded the cotton tape over the top and sewed them in as I went. I based my measurements on some bought (traditional fairground, not fancy fabric) buting that I had - gaps between flags are about as wide as the flags themselves, and flags are about 8" long, 6" wide.

Essie3 Sun 01-Nov-09 22:33:46

Hahaha, I do give instructions and I'm always making bunting hmm Do you have a sewing machine or sewing skills, friday? Maybe I should say it's definitely harder than brain surgery or rocket science but I'll make some for £200. wink Nope, it's dead easy. But I'm calling any children I may have in the future Nia, Ian, Tim, Ann or other short names. grin

Here are the instructions I posted on our post-natal thread back in June. The instructions are for superior bunting wink because when they flap in the wind you don't see the wrong side of the fabric.

You will need:
Fabric, including ideally a largely plain fabric for making the lettering so that it stands out.
Tape - the woven type from fabric shops, and it needs to be quite wide [Because it's fiddly otherwise. Bias binding is a bit tricky to handle, and ribbon is awful.]
Pins
Bondaweb - in sheets, it's iron on.
An iron
Some sewing ability - can be avoided though.

First cut your flags into equally sized triangles - you can draw a template on a piece of card. The triangle needs to be the type that has longer sides than the top (I was sh!t at maths). You need an even number.
[Size - I make mine roughly 20cm in length or so (i.e. top to the point of the triangle). Too small means fiddly sewing, so be generous.]

Onto the WRONG side of the bondaweb, that's the rough side which you MUST NOT touch with a hot iron, draw your letters, or trace from some printed lettering (i.e. type the name on a computer, make it massive, print).

Cut them out, and iron them onto the WRONG side of your lettering fabric (the back). Then cut around each letter. They should, if you've done it right grin and listened properly grin be the right way and not mirror image!

Now peel the paper off the back of the letters and iron them onto the right side of your triangles, with the point of the triangle pointing down.

You should now have flags with your child's name on.

Options: 1. leave them as they are (but they might fray) 2. Blanket stitch by hand around the letters in the same colour or a different colour 3. Machine zigzag or satin stitch (solid zigzag) around the letters.
If you are doing 3., the top tip is to put a piece of printer paper eg. an unpaid bill grin behind the flag and sew through the paper - this gives more stability and control. And GO SLOW. Then tear off all the paper.

Now you need to sew your triangles together to have double sided flags. In pairs, pin the right sides of the triangles together i.e. top side of the fabric to top side, flowers to flowers, or letter-flag with flowers etc. Sew them together, following a v: from top down to the point and back up to the top. No need to sew the top together. DON'T sew across the point.

Once that's done, snip the point off each triangle, and turn them the right way out. You can use a pencil to carefully push out the point. You can also iron them to make them lie well.

Finally, the binding tape. I iron my binding in half first, and then pin the flags inside the fold. You should have a row of flags tucked inside the folded tape, with the open tops of the triangles all hidden. This is the trickiest bit. You now need to sew them in place. If you're good with a machine, sew straight along the bottom of the tape. Alternatively zigzag. Or hand stitch. You need to ensure that all the flags are secured and won't flop out.

stealthsquiggle Sun 01-Nov-09 22:39:02

Essie I was trying to work out why you would finish the edges of the flags if you were going to sew them together but I finally worked out that it is the letters you were blanket stitching/zig-zagging grin

I made 25m of the stuff, but for parties - so no letters!

Essie3 Sun 01-Nov-09 23:08:03

For parties, no real need for double-sided. But the quick way to double-sided would be to glue two pieces together (with bondaweb) then cut with the pinking shears.

Any time you want lettered bunting - rocket science, remember - let me know! wink

fridayschild Mon 02-Nov-09 21:45:10

Oh, that is definitely top class bunting - thanks!

Sewing skills resolutely average here. The main issue, and the appeal of pinking scissors, is that I have no sewing machine. And the bunting is for a party. However I am almost inspired to make bunting when I go back to mum's house at Christmas time. Now, where are those festive emoticons when you need one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now